Chapter 20

Days had passed. I still didn't have the balls to tell my mom she was gonna be a grandmother and thankfully I managed to tell everyone to keep it between ourselves in the meantime. I felt like me and Vanessa needed to talk first seeing as we never got a chance too, plus I was a little scared. I just knew my mom was gonna hit the roof but then go out and buy freakin' baby grows straight after with I love my grandma or some shit across the front.

Everyone kept telling me I needed to go back to the hotel to grab a shower and sleep for days now, but I hadn't left Vanessa's side. I can't lie, it was getting to me. My back was all bent up and my neck was stiff from lying in the chair that had now moulded to my body shape. I hardly ate. I stunk. My hair was all greasy and knotted. Fuck, I was turning into Mick.

"How's she doing?" Michelle sighed as she walked in and kissed Vanessa's forehead.

"The nurses came in and said the swelling is going down a lot quicker than they expected so they're gonna try give her a couple of scans today to see how she's doing" I sighed.

"They took her bandage off?" She said as she brushed Vanessa's hair with her fingers.

"Yeah. They went to change it this morning but they said there isn't much point putting a fresh one on. The scabs have healed pretty well" I shrugged. I lent forward and rested my chin on the edge of her bed as I held Vanessa's hand and watched her. I just wanted to see her eyes move or feel her twitch like she did when she was asleep.

"I got you a coffee by the way, don't worry it's not from one of those machines" she smirked as she sat down next to me.

"Ahhh! Thanks man! I can't stand the taste of that shit anymore" I smirked as I sat up and took the white take out cup off her.

"So, we haven't had chance to talk properly yet... how you holding up?" She asked.

"It's hard... even though they say she's gonna be okay I'm just expecting something to go wrong" I sighed.

"If I know my niece the way that I think I do, you haven't got a single damn thing to worry about" she smiled.

"Did she ever tell you about the time she fell from the roof?" She asked.

I whipped my head round to look at her. "What!? No!"

She giggled. "It was summer of '72 and Vanessa had come over to my moms place with Sharise and her brother Daniel, and they were playing soccer in the backyard. Daniel kicked the ball onto the roof and I remember walking outside and they were throwing things at it to try and get it down, so being the party pooper I was I told them they couldn't play anymore and I walked off back inside expecting them to follow. I was talking to Vanessa's mom inside and all I heard was this huge crash and a scream so we all run outside and Vanessa is on the floor with her arm all snapped up like a twig and Sharise and Daniel stood over her with these big ol' puppy dog eyes saying they didn't do anything"

We started to laugh together while she told me some more stories about Vanessa growing up and she even showed me a couple of photos she had. I liked Michelle, she was like the super cool aunt every kid wished they had. After talking to her for an hour or so, I wondered what really went wrong with Vanessa and her parents.

"So, did Vanessa... did she ever tell you why she moved here?" I asked.

"I haven't spoken to Vanessa since she moved. I only found out she did move when Sharise called to tell me what had happened to her" she said.

I was actually kinda shocked. With how highly both Sharise and Vanessa spoke of Michelle, I thought they would have kept in touch.

"Oh... so,  her parents... do they know?" I asked anxiously.