Chapter 36

"It's great to meet you both, I'm Dr Andrews! I'm going to be your therapist" she smiled as she shook Tommy's hand and then mine. I could feel my heart racing a little as I sat closely next to Tommy and clutched at his arm like a kid holding onto their favourite soft toy. "So what exactly is it that's bought you guys here today?" She asked as she propped herself up in her chair, holding onto her notebook and pen.

We both smiled awkwardly at each other and then looked back at her. It's almost like we were reassuring each other that, no matter what we said, no matter how hard and close to the knuckle it got... everything was going to be okay.

Tommy picked my hand up and held it in his. I knew straight away he wasn't comfortable opening up just yet and he was a little worried of what I'd think or say if and when he did, so I took control for a little bit. "We made the decision to come here because even though we haven't even been together a year yet, our relationship became pretty toxic to the point we had to separate but while we were separated, we both realised that... we... pretty much can't live without one another" I said as I brushed my other hand against his arm.

Dr Andrews nodded her head and started writing. "A lot of people always seem surprised when I say this but, therapy is completely normal and healthy regardless of what stage your relationship is in. Some couples come to therapy because they can't find a way to communicate but when they come here they both have a safe place to voice their opinions" she smiled as she looked over her glasses and smiled. "So tell me the story of you two! How did you guys meet? Who liked who first? I wanna know all the details" she asked.

I looked at Tommy and he cleared his throat. "We lived in a little apartment complex just off of Sunset Boulevard, and my band were playing super loud one day. Vanessa came upstairs and almost kicked our door down trying to get us to shut up and... I guess it was love at first sight" he smirked as he looked back and flashed his contagious smile at me. "I don't wanna sound like a stalker or whatever but, I actually kept lookout for her everyday just to catch a glimpse of her because I was so afraid to talk to her in case she thought I was a dick... oh shit, can I swear?" He asked.

I covered my face and giggled as Dr Andrews chuckled in her chair. "This is a safe, open space Tommy. Say whatever you feel" she smiled.

He smiled and nodded. "Well she worked at a strip club and even though I'd not really spoke to her properly, I got a little jealous and stuff so one day I saw her coming back from college with some groceries and it just kinda picked up from there" he cackled.

"My friend, Sharise, convinced me to take some soup up to Tommy, so I did and then him and his buddy, Vince, invited us to a party so we went. We hung out for a little while and we made out a little before he asked me to go to dinner with his family" I smirked and Tommy cringed.

"You asked her to meet your family after a few hours?" She asked, almost in disbelief.

"It wasn't like that" he smirked. "My sister was supposed to come over but she tends to scare girls away and I got this vibe Vanessa was just awesome, she had this vibe that I just... I just dug and I didn't want Athena to ruin that, you know?" He said as Dr Andrews nodded her head.

"So I called my mom and told her Athena couldn't come, Athena being the brat she is threw a stop and my mom basically told me that if this girl was so special that Athena couldn't go, I had to bring her home to meet everyone, so I did and the joke was on her because now she loves Vanessa" he said as I burst out laughing.

"Vanessa, do you agree? Do you get on with Tommy's family?" She asked.

"Absolutely! Athena is... she's like the little sister me and Sharise always wanted when we were growing up together. His dad is the sweetest guy I've ever known and V is... she's wonderful" I shrugged. "I couldn't ask for a better set of in-laws" I smiled.