Forty-Five

Jungkook stared at Sunghee, observing her every feature; as she sat before him playing with her firetruck and ambulance, he was trying to see what about her made her not his. Nothing, there was nothing in her appearance, our features that stood out to him, he knew what the papers said, he heard Jin, and he heard his parents, but in his heart, he couldn't agree with any of it. He didn't want to, but as he watched her the last couple of days, he sadly came in touch with reality that he couldn't force himself to be what he wasn't.

He couldn't be selfish with her, even though he wanted to. She would hate him for it in the future, he was sure of it, and it was the last thing he wanted. He didn't want her feeling any of the pain he felt, as he found it humanly impossible for one to endure. For the last two months, everyone around him had moved forward, and surely they thought he had too, and to some degree, he had made progress for his family, but deep inside, there was still emptiness of wonder and hope. A hope that could not be fulfilled, and he knew it, he knew he had to let go of the hope that something would change, or Jin would tell him it was all a joke, none of that was possible, he had already made his way into her life, there was no changing the reality of what was and would continue to be.

"Dada," Sunghee calls out to him as she walked her way over to where he sat, dropping her trucking onto his lap.

Jungkook smiled, pulling her into a hug, "you are ready for lunch?" he asked while standing up with her in his arms. Though things didn't turn out as he had wanted, he was still thankful that he was recognized as someone important to her. As no matter what, he would continue to consider her as his own; he couldn't blame her for anything that had happened.

While on his way to the kitchen to prepare her something, the doorbell sounds, stopping him. Frowning, he wondered who was visiting as Jin already had Jimin over who was upstairs with him, keeping the other kids and studying for an upcoming exam.

"Who do you think that is?" he asks Sunghee as he turns towards the entry hallway and goes to the front door.

Seeing Taehyung through the security camera at the front door, he sighs and opens the door, "I don't recall you telling me you are coming by."

Taehyung ignored him and smiled at Sunghee, reaching out to take her, but gets stopped by Jungkook, "you need to wash those hands before you touch my daughter."

"Whatever, how is my little princess doing? And why are you home, don't you have work?" Taehyung questioned, pushing his way inside as he ruffled a smiling Sunghee hair.

Jungkook closed the door and looks at him, "Jin is studying for an exam, I took off to help with the kids, but he and Jimin have it all covered, it seems, only Sunghee and I are down here hanging out. Why are you here?"

"Look at you being a good husband, had I known you would have been like this, I would have considered us being a thing-"

"You are not my type, you disgusting-"

"I never said you were mine either, no need to get all hot and bothered besides; I know I couldn't compete with Jin. In another life, though, if you want, you can find me." Taehyung said, giving Jungkook a wink, and hurriedly walked away towards the kitchen.

Jungkook shook his head, rolling his eyes at the thought of his best friend as he followed him to the kitchen to find him already in their pantry.

"Again, why are you here?"

Taehyung glanced from the pantry to Jungkook, holding a bag of Doritos in his hand, "I am here to see Jin."

"Why?"

"Aren't you interrogative? However, if you must know, I need to talk to him about something he told Hoseok."

"What did he tell him?"

"That's personal between him and me, now stop being nosey and jealous; it does not look good on you. Anyway, since Jin and Jimin are hanging out, how about we take Sunghee and go get something to eat, I am starving, and I don't want to keep raiding your kitchen every time I come here, even though Jin is always generous with sharing, I know you are little touchy when it comes to food."

Jungkook rolled his eyes as Taehyung opened the bag of Doritos and began eating it while proceeding to grab himself one of Jin's bottled smoothie. "Where do you want to go, and you are paying."

"Anywhere appropriate for Sunghee, don't worry, this once I can pay, but next time it's on you!"

*******

"Where did you and Taehyung go?" Jin asked Jungkook as he came out of the bathroom and began preparing for bed.

Jungkook stared at him, "we went out to eat, then we stopped at the park with Sunghee; he claims he is coming back tomorrow to see you, apparently something personal to discuss with you, care to share what that is?"

Jin began chewing on his lips as he thought about his reason for continually dodging Taehyung, "I see, did you guys have fun?"

"You are not seriously going to ignore my question and try to redirect this conversation, are you?"

Jin sighed, "it's not that; it's just I slipped with Hoseok. I was angry, and I said something I shouldn't have, and it was a secret Taehyung shared with me. He and Hoseok used to sleep together; wait, why don't you look surprised?"

Jungkook shrugged his shoulders, "I have might have already known something about that-"

"And you never told me?!"

"It never came to mind to say anything, Taehyung doesn't know I know, they kept it a secret, but it was obvious, every time your brother used to come home from college, Taehyung would skip out on parties with Yoongi and me. Surprise he told you, what sparked this?"

"Oh, okay, well, he was just ranting it to me one day, as I shared my frustration regarding Hoseok to him when everything happened. I know you said before you are not, but I want to ask, are you concerned with my friendship with Taehyung, because I don't know how else to tell you there is nothing with him and me-"

"I believe you; I spoke to Taehyung today and let him know where I stand with you and him being friends; as long as he doesn't cross the line, we are good. I trust you, and I trust you will never do anything to impact our marriage or our kids intentionally. I only asked regarding why he was here because I was curious and maybe slightly insecure."

Jin felt bad hearing Jungkook making him go over to their bed and sitting down, as he rests a hand on Jungkook's thigh, "I made a mistake once, I promise you it will never happen again. I can't even tell you how grateful I am that we are making this work; I have already hurt you once, it is not in my plans to ever do that again. I know there are still doubts, and every day we are making progress, but one day you will see that you are the only one for me."

Jungkook took a deep breath and sat up, pulling Jin towards him, "I am sorry, I don't want you to feel like you have to prove anything to me, you never cheated on me, so I don't have a reason to think you would, it's just my mind, and I need to work on that. I do have thoughts of what would have happened if we didn't have the other kids? Would you have left me for Jaehyun?"

******

THE END💜

Thank you for reading, your support for this book is amazing. I look forward to bringing you better content, until next time 💜.

(NOT THE END, 4/1 is now over 😉)