gale; curtain

"I feel like my legs are going to give up on me." I mutter to myself as I feel the trickle of sweat falling down my forehead. My legs have been aching for a few hours now and I just felt like blurting out my complaint. 

"That's because you have short legs, shrimp." Gajeel retorts beside me with his signature smirk and I immediately smack him in the head. 

"Ow!" His reaction makes Pantherlily and I giggle, we give each other a high five.

"But no joke though," Pantherlily intervenes. "That mission really took a toll on us." He says, and I couldn't help but agree. 

Gajeel, Pantherlily, and I are currently on our way back to the Fairytail guild as we have just completed the last mission we took with us for today. It involved taking care of a group of bandits in a small town just outside the area of Magnolia. Although we expected it to be an easy task, the bandits were more skilled than we anticipated. It was a good thing that the three of us didn't suffer any serious injuries, other than the few bruises and minor scars here and there. As for my case, I gained a few cuts on my legs from the fight, which must be the reason why my legs have been aching.

"I see the guild." Gajeel remarks once a familiar building comes to view. I sigh in relief upon realizing that I could finally take a rest, and the sight of the guild would always make me happy since it's a place I could call home.

Gajeel opens the door to the guild and we're immediately greeted by the wild chaos bestowed by our rowdy friends. The sight consisted of Natsu and Gray having a showdown in the middle of the place with the rest of the people cheering them on. Again, I sigh. It's times like these where I wonder why I'm friends with the craziest of people.

"Levy! Gajeel! You guys are back!" Lucy's familiar voice can be heard. I turn and am met with her beaming figure. But her expression immediately turns into a frown once she notices how beat up we are. "Oh my, are you guys alright? You should hurry to the infirmary." Her voice laced with worry and she wastes no time leading us the way.

Once there, Madam Porlyusica made us lie down in bed as she tried her best to treat our minor injuries. She also instructed us to rest for the next couple of hours to gain our energy back. I couldn't waste the golden opportunity, so I let myself close my eyes and drift to sleep. 

Well, that isn't until...

"Levy," Someone whispers but I try to ignore it.

"Levy!" I open my eyes and turn in the direction of the voice. Gajeel smirks as I look at him, I forgot that the beds we are currently resting at are just next to each other.

"Yes, Gajeel?" I ask drowsily, my eyes almost drooping down from exhaustion.

"Just wanted to say you did well today, shrimp." My eyes immediately widen as I notice his hand reach out and pat me on the head. "You should rest now." He pulls his hand back and blocks my view of him any further by pulling the curtains in front of me, separating the both of us.

I blush profusely and shut my eyes close. There's no way that someone like him would say something like that in front of me. Maybe he hit his head somewhere along the way? I've wracked my brain with the possible reasons for his sudden actions but I still find myself helpless.

A small smile makes my way to my lips. Although his words were simple, it meant a lot to someone like me who tries her best every day. 

"You too, Gajeel." I say. 

"You did well today too."

Little did Levy know that on the other side of the curtain, there was a certain dragon slayer blushing red like a tomato.

◦◦❀◦◦

omg hello! i haven't updated this book in so long and it's good to be back, thank you for waiting. school is currently over for me which is why I'm able to publish a chapter right now, i hope i can publish more in the next following weeks!

thanks for reading this chapter, don't forget to vote! (。・・。)ノ

-naeyiin