gruvia; new year

"Juvia! I'm so happy you're here." Lucy welcomes me with her bright smile as she gestures me to come in, opening the door so widely.

I give her a smile. "Thank you, Lucy!"

She nods in acknowledgment and I take a look around. Familiar people scatter around the area, there were some who I had no acquaintance with but nonetheless, this is Lucy's new year party. It makes sense that I wouldn't know everyone here.

"Natsu, Gray, and the others are in the living room. I have to go tend to some guests, see you later!" She bids me a rushed farewell and the next thing I knew, I lost sight of her. Planning this party might've been stressful for her.

I heave out a sigh and head towards the living room to where my friends are supposed to be. Natsu's booming voice can be heard loud and clear from the room I'm in and I can't help but chuckle.

"Oh, it's Juvia!" Natsu points his finger at me which leads to the whole group turning their faces toward my direction...

..even Gray.

"Juvia! Hey!"

"Aye, hey Juvia!"

"Hi, Juvia!"

"Oh," A drop of sweat rolls down my face from nervousness, I'm not used to so many people focusing their attention on me. "H-Hello."

Erza quickly takes ahold of my hand and makes me take a seat next to her, her smile surprisingly make my nerves calm down.

I let my eyes wander around and joy fills my heart at my friends' faces, I'm so glad that I can celebrate the new year with them.

After a few seconds, Gray stands up from where he was sitting and takes a seat beside me, making the whole group go silent. Most of them having dumbfounded looks on their faces.

"Glad you could make it."

His voice is faint but I'm able to hear it.

I just nod in reply, not having the power to use my voice.

◦◦❀◦◦

"Okay, everyone!" Lucy announces, getting the attention of almost everyone in the room. "5 more minutes until the new year begins!" And everyone cheers upon hearing her statement.

"I'm hungry." Natsu complains for the 10th time, earning another smack from Erza. I laugh in the inside, a small part of me feeling bad for the bruises that are about to form later.

"3 more minutes!"

"Juvia," Gray calls me and I hesitate to look at him, but I did. "Come with me." He lays his hand out, his eyes having the smallest drop of desperation for me to take it.

Questions start to build at the back of my throat. Should I take his hand? Where will he take me? Why is he doing this?

"Please."

My train of thoughts stops working, his words taking me by surprise. I look at his dark eyes one more time and I gently put my hand atop his.

◦◦❀◦◦

"1 minute, everyone!" Lucy's voice can be heard even though we're a good distance away from them.

My eyes roam around the place he took me, the roof. We're so high up, I've never felt so free in my entire life when the wind lets my hair flow against my face.

I let my head turn to his direction and I gasp upon noticing his eyes already locking with mine. I clear my throat and break eye contact, switching my attention to the beautiful scenery in front of us.

"Why are Gray and Juvia up here?" I can't help but let the question out.

A few moments of silence fills the open air, making me feel the slightest bit of awkwardness. The sensation of him staring down at me makes my heart beat very rapidly.

"I have something to say to you."

His words make my eyebrows perk up in curiosity and I subconsciously turn to look at him.

"10 seconds!"

"What does Gray want to tell Juvia?" I ask, admiring how his hair is flowing with the wind.

"5!"

He leans toward me

"4!"

He gently puts his hand on my cheek, making me look deeply into his eyes.

"3!"

He wraps his other arm around my body and pulls me toward him.

"2!"

He shows me a smile, a thing so rare.

"1!"

"I like you, Juvia."

Our lips connect and the butterflies inside me make my stomach churn.

"Happy new year!" I hear the yell of our friends, along with the sound of fireworks.

This might be the best new year I've had so far.

◦◦❀◦◦

happy happy new year to everyone! let's wish that 2020 will be a much better year.

thanks for reading this chapter, don't forget to vote! (。・・。)ノ

-naeyiin