zervis; nightmare

note: this chapter's a modern au (kind of)ʕ•̫͡•ʔ

◦◦❀◦◦

My eyes widen in pure terror as I hold her limp body with my bare hands. I stare into her soulless eyes, the light that once sparked in them now gone.

I killed her.

"Mavis.." Her name leaves my mouth, the name of the person that I loved. The person who made me want to actually look forward to life, without any doubts in mind.

I loved her and because of that, death took her away from me. The thing that hurts me the most is that I'm the reason she is dead.

I pull her against my chest, wanting to feel her one last time. I hug her tightly, but her head just tilts back, looking up into the night sky.

"I'm sorry, Mavis." I whisper in regret.

"Zeref."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"Zeref."

The sound is faint but it's enough for my ears to hear.

"Zeref!"

The familiar voice keeps getting louder and louder.

"Zeref!"

My eyes shot open and the next I knew, I was gasping for air. Beads of sweat seem to trickle down my face as I feel my heart wanting to rip out of my ribcage.

"Hey," I flinch, her voice catching me by surprise. I turn to look at her and can't help but sigh in relief.

She's okay.

"Zeref?" She calls out my name.

"I-I'm fine." The words leave my mouth automatically. I let my hand run through my hair, attempting to take ragged breaths. A thousand of emotions cloud my mind.

"What happened?"

"You were having a nightmare," Mavis explains. "I tried waking you up but—" She sniffs, her eyes settled on the ground.

In a mere second, I grab her and pull her in for an embrace. I can't help but feel her warmth, the warmth that always seems to calm me down. I'am and will always be grateful to have her by my side.

"You died in my nightmare," I feel her body tense. "And..I was the one who killed you, Mavis. I killed y—"

"Zeref," I hear her say. She lets go of me, her warmth leaving my entire being. Something inside of me feels empty, empty at the fact that I wasn't holding her in my arms anymore.

I carefully notice her rest her hand against my cheek. Gently caressing it with her thumb as she puts her forehead against mine. My eyes widen when I catch sight of her emerald ones.

"I'm here. It was only a nightmare," She says reassuringly, her voice calmed me down, it always did. "I will never leave you, remember that." She whispers.

Then, she buries her head against the crook of my neck. My arms wrap around her petite body, holding her close against my chest.

I slowly lie down on my back, with her still within my grasp. Her slow rhythm of breathing indicated that she's already asleep, she must've been tired.

After I give her a gentle kiss on the forehead, I shut my eyes closed. In a few seconds, I already feel sleep taking over me.

◦◦❀◦◦

oh shoot, sorry for not being able to update for a month! life is being an ass and i'm trying my best to keep my head high i guess, haha.

btw, i do accept requests for future chapters because i'm running low on ideas. just go to the first ever chapter of this book titled 'Welcome to Fairytail Oneshots' and comment there!

anyways, expect more frequent updates in the future!

don't forget to click that star.

have a nice day,

-naeyiin