Chapter 24 - Thin Man

Well here we are. Sorry for the late update, but school is crap and I hate it.

My knee also hates me because it has been rainy and cold and my knee hates the cold and is like 'no I ain't gonna function. I will continue to hurt because haha!'

Enjoy!
____
A cool breeze howled through the streets of the grey city. Mono’s feet felt the rough wet surface of the pavement. His eyes scanned the streets, catching sight of a few abandoned suitcases and discarded clothing. A blush scorched his face as he felt Six nuzzle his shoulder as she slept. He smiled, staring at her sleeping face from the corner of his eye.  

His brown hair brushed against his face, his untucked shirt swaying as he strolled down the road. The buildings around bucked and cracked, bending and twisting to the signal tower. Mono sighed, his mind wondering. Six got hurt, and it’s my fault. She also hasn’t eaten in days, and she is exhausted. Mabey I shouldn’t have brought her into my mess. It’s dangerous, and she could get killed. His eyes trailed the floor, watching the ground as it passed under his feet.  

Six stirred, snapping Mono from his thoughts. His head turned to face her. Her eyes fluttered open lazily. She tilted her head on Mono’s shoulder, shifting her eyes to meet his. Six’s eyes were dull, tired. She put on a tired smile. Mono grinned back, his brown eyes dazzling. He felt his heart dance as he gazed down at the girl.  

Mono swirled his head around, an all too familiar buzzing noise echoing through the streets. A flashing light shone against a buildings wall, twisted shadows flashing on and off with the television static. Mono slowed, crouching down. Six tightened her grip, her hot breath tickling Mono’s neck. His hair raised at the feeling. Mono internally shook it off, keeping his gaze ahead, sneaking up to the corner of an alleyway where the television hungry townsfolk waited. 

At a corner where the Street turned off into an alleyway, Mono hid. He peeked his head around the corner, holding in a gasp as he saw a pack of townsfolk staring at a singular static television. Their heads flung back at sudden moments, as if the broken noise of the T.V was being absorbed. Their faces were mangled, twisted in all directions looking like a void. Their limbs were out of proportion, their clothing torn as hair sprinkled down from their balding heads. 

Gulping, Mono took a few steps away from the alleyway. Looking over his shoulder, he knew that they couldn’t go back from where they came, as that led to an endless pit of nothing that ran through the entire city. Turning to face forward again, Mono sighed, knowing that this was the only way for the two to go.  

“Hold on tight. And don’t look at the T.V” His whisper was barely audible, Six being the only one possibly to even hear his mumbles. She nodded, holding Mono close as he started to sneak. With each step, Mono held more of his breath. The television was blaring, its light almost hypnotic. Mono gazed down, watching every step he makes. Six had her eyes look the other way, he eyes looking at the illuminated wall next to them.  

Suddenly, the static sound stopped. The light from the television flashed to black. Mono felt his heart burn as his breathing quickened. Standing up, Mono faced the crowd of viewers. They cried with anger and pain. Their bodies twining together as they tried to find out what happened to their precious television. One of them however didn’t join in, instead it stood still. The viewer turned its head around, not moving its body an inch. Its eyeless head looked down at Mono and Six, sensing their presence. The head cracked, its skin sounding like leather as it strained its neck to stare down at the two. Its lonely mouth turning up into a sharp toothed grin that split its face in half.