Chapter 14: The Birth Of A Name

My eyes go dark and squinty as anger floods through me.

"Heh, you should just leave then. Now that I think about it, I don't want a worthless teacher who believes what other people say without proof!" I tap the table with the bottom of my fist and the noise is louder than I intended. Ugh, my emotions in this body are too impulsive. I can't help losing control sometimes.

*Thud*

"H-Huh? Teacher? What are you talking about?"

"And you're stupid too! Get out!"

"W-Wait, hold on, I think there's been a misunderstanding!"

"Just like how people misunderstand Blood-locks?! See, that's how it feels!"

"What are you talking about?!"

Suddenly from upstairs, there are the sounds of rapid footsteps as Romy and Mark run down in response to my shouts. Glacia's eyes are wide because I've suddenly transformed into an enraged tiger. Breathing heavily, I control the disappointment inside me. Damnit...I really thought she might be the one. But it's okay. We'll find another teacher.

"Is everything okay?" Romy steps into the conversation gingerly. Quicker on the uptake than Mark, she tries to get a grasp on the situation. "Child, you shouldn't yell. Miss. Glacia came in good faith to teach you. Even if it's not a good fit that's no excuse to be rude."

"But she doesn't care about my potential! Just because Mephis was a Blood-lock she-"

"Hold on! Just...just hold on one minute!" Glacia finally stammers, putting a hand out to break though, "I have nothing against Blood-locks. As a matter of fact, I'd very much like to meet one. That's why I'm here actually. I heard about the strange blood rain which occurred a few days ago and immediately packed my bags to investigate. I'm not sure what's going on, but please understand, I have no ill intentions!"

Oh...wait. What the heck?

Did I just make a massive misunderstanding?

Hold on...rewind, rewind...did she ever say that she was applying for the job?

Damn she only said she wanted to ask some questions and we just assumed!

"Crap." I say bluntly and Romy gives me a chiding look at the language. However, from her expression it seems she agrees.

"Well then...this is awkward." Mark finally speaks. He goes over to the kettle by the stove, "Dear, I think I'd like some tea. Glacia, would you like some tea? What about you, Kid?"

"Definitely."

"S-Sure."

"Thanks."

For a time, we wait for the water to boil. I organize my thoughts in the meantime. When the kettle shrieks and Mark takes it off and begins to pour it into cups and adds the tea, I'm about to speak, but Glacia beats me to the punch.

"Sorry. I came in here unannounced, but it seems there's been a mistake. My master says that I sometimes go too far in my pursuit of truth, but know that if I've angered you, it was purely unintentional!" She hurriedly bows her head and I feel very guilty, indeed, watching her floaty hairs lie flat in apology. Not fair! I was going to apologize first!

"Child?" Romy nods and I agree with her. This is our fault, not hers!

"No, I'm sorry. I assumed that you were here to become my magic tutor. We had a poster at the Guild Hall searching for applicants and when you came, with your...clothes, I assumed you were here for the job. But then I got mad because I thought you were going to leave just because I was associated with a Blood-lock. It's all my fault." I hang my head, thoroughly embarrassed. Fortunately, I know how to take care of situations like this from my past life. If I just apologize thoroughly, people will forgive you quickly. However, it seems that my apology might have been a bit more eloquent than that of a typical five-year-old. Romy sniffs, and taps Mark on the shoulder.