Chapter 50: Sins

The sky begins to weep thick tears as I summon a fireball into my hands. I stare at the man and woman prostrating themselves before me. Their knees slowly sink as the dirt in Sines turns to mud, but they don't dare complain. It must be a strange sight, two full grown adults kneeling before a child in a rainstorm. You really didn't think anyone would care that you ratted out Nadania and Pisa, huh?

Well unfortunately, Romy and Mark may be gone, but I'm not.

Yan told me everything, once I went back to his shop. How jealous the town widow, Sheila, was of Nadania's Demi-Cat beauty and Pisa's adoring love. How she hated that even the married men would look twice as Nadania passed by. When the Daggas Clan came and asked if there were any Demi's in town, they didn't have to threaten anyone. Sheila stepped right up and led them to the house with a smile. As for the guy she's kneeling with...well, he's one of the local dads. Not Sheila's husband, that man died years ago. While she sold out Natalia's family for nothing, he nodded and did nothing to stop her. I caught them sneaking around and having fun in Sheila's room while most of the town was at the funeral. They didn't even wait for the embers from Nadania and Pisa's cremation to finish smoldering. I remember Sheila talking up Mark at the grocery store with a smile and my mood gets even colder.

"So..." I murmur, staring at them both. "What should I do with two traitors. No...that's not right. Two murderers."

"I...I...please, it was a mistake!" Sheila shrieks hysterically as the fireball in my flares brighter, "I had no idea they would kill them!"

"Mmm, no idea, no idea." Mockingly, I echo her, and lean in. Catching her eyes, I notice the fear in them. It's amazing the effect magic can have on ordinary people. Sometimes I forget how uncommon it is because Mark and Romy are here. But to these townspeople who spend their ignorant lives amidst the fields and forest, my talent is terrifying. The fire in my hand grows with my temper. A raindrop falls on Sheila's face and she flinches, but doesn't dare look away. Something moves off to the side. True to his nature, her unfaithful lover isn't staying. I chuckle having seen the move coming, "Uh uh, where are you going?"

"M-Me?" The man, freezes. I think I've seen his family before. Is your wife watching right now? "Listen, I have nothing to do with this. Whatever happened is between you and Sheila, Kid. I didn't even say anything! Just...just...woah!" He stops as I conjure a deadly shard of ice in my other hand and point it at him. The arrow-like crystal turns slowly in the air, awaiting my command. "I...now hold on, I have a family!"

"Do you now...?" I mutter, laughing coldly. With Foresight on, I see everything they will say, all their pathetic excuses before they say it. So, I'm not worried that they'll escape. Rather, I'm looking forward to seeing them squirm. "So, then you're also responsible for her crime, as her husband, correct?"

"She's not my wife!" The man yells excitedly. "We were just..."

"Screwing around?" My eyes narrow and he stumbles backwards as the ice crystal begins to vibrate and hum violently. "Tell me, what is the punishment for adultery in this country?"

"I...I..." The man nervously looks between me and Sheila. "T-There is no punishment...Kid, you don't really want to hurt anyone, right? Look, we're all human here. How about we just calm down..."

"Ah. I see." Nodding, as if I agree, I close my left fist and the ice crystal disappears. Raindrops continue to fall in-between us as I close my eyes. In the future, I watch to see if anyone runs. They think about it. But these cowards don't have the guts. I'm getting tired of this. My eyes snap open. I stare at the man and he breathes heavily. "Sorry, I misworded my question. What I meant was...what is the punishment for cheating on your wife with a murderous harlot and aiding in said harlot's crime?"