Chapter 73: Did You Really Know Me?

"Sein's right. He isn't Rainstopper. And look at her disciple. Meera, that's her name right? She's as good as dead!" It's that other Elder. The one who already insulted Elina. I have her name on my list. Seane. Funny you'd describe Meera that way. To be honest, I think it'd be better to say you're as good as dead. But keep talking. Dig your grave deeper. It's saving me a lot of trouble.

"You see?! Look at her!" Sein, rushes over and shoves Elina out of the way. Grasping at Meera's hair, she makes a big show of it. Pathetic. We can all see you're full of crap. If you really cared you'd let Elina keep working on her. "My dear disciple, she can't even see! Heilan! Jarshan! Will you stand for this?" Over by the sides, Jarshan is joined by another flickering shadow. Elder Heilan steps out of the darkness with a serene expression. Still like glass. He glances at Jarshan who nods back calmly. I can't tell. Is he just faking? Jarshan is Perideen's master, but that doesn't mean he likes Romy. I can't trust him. Even if...

"The Candidate has broken no rules," Elder Heilan says calmly. Even if Meera is his disciple's fiance, he doesn't care. However, then he raises his hand and announces, "However, this technique is a bit troubling. Clearly, it has the potential to be fatal. This could be seen as against the rules. What do you think, Jarshan?"

"It did not kill," Jarshan is still, and even though he's not wearing his mask, I still feel like I'm staring at a wolf when he looks at me. "Maiming is part of the Trials. Even if the Secthead discourages it. It is...ironic...is it not? The final Trial will continue as planned in one week's time. If no one else has anything to say then this matter is closed-"

"No!" I interrupt. They don't expect it. It'd be a simple matter to stay silent. Those pit viper eyes that Sein has flick onto me. A snake through and through. Regardless of what animals the other Elder's pretend to be, all I see are a bunch of rats and vermin. Sorry, Romy...sorry, Elina. But this has to be done. I have to work to keep my face even. My heart pounds, this is it. The moment I've been waiting for. It's a bit early. Jarshan is confused. But I don't care. This is my chance!

"What do you mean no...Candidate?" The Supervisor of the Trials frowns deeply. He gives no trace of whose side he's on or what game he's playing. Out of all the Elders, Jarshan is the only one I fear. For he's the only one who doesn't need to whisper with the others. When he speaks alone, everyone listens. "Meera is disqualified, she will not longer be in contention for the Trials. You've injured her grievously. Possibly for life. Are you not satisfied with this ending?"

"No...not at all," I tell him, but really all of them. It's so hard to hold it in. Like pulling in a fish, I need to wait to yank the hook straight, but it's so tempting just to reel them in. My lips open. And I speak, "I've had enough of this. Meera told me that all the other Candidates have withdrawn. It's just me...and Janus. Obviously, none of you want me to lead the Sect. You're desperate to try anything to stop me. But that's not the Rainstopper way now is it?"

"What the hell are you getting at, Brat?" Sein hisses at me. A dagger appears in her hand. She looks like she wants to use it. Rising from Meera's still form, the Elder points her blade at my forehead, "Are you insinuating that the Trials aren't fair? Speak carefully! The Secthead isn't here right now and that cripple won't be able to protect you if you keep opening your mouth! Jarshan let me teach him some respect for his elders-"

"Hehe..." I can't stop it. A little laugh leaks out. Sein's ugly face, her eyes bulge at my impudence. It's perfect really. My hand comes up as her knife starts to tremble dangerously. I wave her off. "How about we all just stop pretending. You don't want me. But I'm here. And the Trials dictate that the strongest should become Secthead. You say my techniques aren't fair? That they're too dangerous for the rules? Well, I have a proposal then. Let's settle this right here and now. No rules...just me and Janus. Let's do it the old way. A proper Rainstopper Third Trial. There's even a storm coming. Isn't it perfect?"