Chapter 29: Yan's Necklaces And Brooches

Doing my best to control my laughter, I send my little sister home for the day, promising to be at her Naming Ceremony tomorrow. Though Natalia is disappointed to be separated from me, she seems to sense that I'm trying to get rid of her. Being extra sneaky, and double checking that she isn't somehow going to magically appear behind me again (she's really good at that), I head into town in search of a present for her fifth birthday.

Hmm...maybe I should make her something with magic? I mean whatever I get her, she'll definitely cherish it because she's so young. But when I finally got my first birthday present from Mephis, it meant the world to me, so I should definitely make it special. Or would it mean more if I bought something with money? Women like expensive things, right? I mean the CEO of Case Bank did send me that thank you letter for using their card to fund all my gold-diggers. Those gold-diggers seemed to really enjoy all the things they bought for themselves with my money. Hmm, I'm not sure which one's better...handmade or store-bought. I could get Natalia two presents and then peek into the future to see which one she's more excited about at the party...

Absentmindedly, I think about what girl's want. It's a weird exercise for me. In the old days, I'd just flash my platinum credit card and let them buy themselves whatever they pleased. No mess, no fuss, easy-peasy. It worked fine every time. But now, I'm a little bit more strapped for funds. And by that...I mean I'm really poor. Romy gave me some money, which I haven't spent because I'm never in town, but I'm pretty sure it's not enough for much. Well, let's see what we can get with a few coppers...

"Hmm suitable gifts for a girl turning five...and she's a Demi-Cat too...maybe some catnip?" I'm probably being racist against Demi's or something right now, but I have no idea what to get her. This is honestly one of the first times I've ever been inside town and truly bothered to explore the shops. Since Glacia always told me that magical equipment was not to be relied on while I was still training, I've had zero interest in buying gear. To be honest, I'm not very impressed with the selection anyways. Most of the things in town are geared towards physical warriors, and while I do need a real sword, that's not really necessary until I outgrow Mephis's dagger. Glacia told me that magic users are far rarer than fighters who rely on Qi, and that definitely shows because almost all the gear for sale is some sort of sword, spear, knife, armor, or other fighter equipment. In the entire town, I fail to find a single person selling mage items.

Fortunately, while this world is definitely less wealthy than Earth was, it seems that the human fascination with pretty trinkets is universal, even in alternate realities. Vendors selling baubles are everywhere and there's even a dedicated crafts shop, full of various personal accessories. The universal language, that all women speak, exists in this world too, clearly. And judging from the number of stalls, it seems that men are getting fooled into wasting their hard-earned money just like in my last life. Peh...good thing I know better than to waste money now. Wait...then what am I doing shopping for a girl already? I'm only six...shoot, I'm already getting used by them again!

Ugh it's okay.

Relax, Myrr.

This is for your slave sister who saved your life.

You can afford to be a bit wasteful for her, right?

I don't have to look far before I'm assaulted by a veritable storm of earrings, necklaces, brooches, rings, and all manner of useless things. The craftsmanship is not on the same level as a jewelry store from our world, but some of them are still magnificent pieces nevertheless. I can definitely find something for Natalia here. But there's just one problem...why are these all so expensive! Maybe I can't afford to spoil her after all...is this disappointment, what being a father feels like?