Chapter 17: How I Lost An Uncle

"Each branch of magic requires a different mastery of mana manipulation. But then what about the four elements? How are elemental mages usually capable of using more than one element without extensive training? It is because all elemental magic is a transmutation of the other elements. If we derive the fundamental applications of magic, then even the life magic of healers is simply a form of mana manipulation." Glacia's teachings have rapidly gotten more complex. When she realized that I was entirely capable of understanding topics which would have stumped most adults in this world, her teachings soon delved into the esoteric.

I flew through the fundamentals of mana manipulation using my knowledge of science and how the world works. The topics covered were not difficult at all, perhaps because most people in this world are not even literate. Simply put, the level of knowledge among the general populace is too low. Tradition, dogma, and oral teachings have allowed scraps of magical learning to slowly plant seeds and create the arcane systems of today, but most schools of the arcane studies are completely separate with the exception of the basic Elemental Magics which are readily available for most mages. Thus, it's entirely possible that had I not met Glacia, and gotten a different teacher, I might have ended up learning a completely different magical philosophy and fundamental theory. Fortunately, I did end up with her as my teacher, and by cross referencing her lessons with my own knowledge from Mephis, it became obvious that her orthodox school is one of the most suitable ways to understand magic. Thank you for coming Glacia. Otherwise, I might have had to learn magic from a complete nutjob!

One question I had regarding magic was whether or not it could be used to heal people. In the video games I used to play while alone, healing your wounds with magic was always a useful thing to have. It seems that this does in fact exist in this world. But Glacia points out that it's almost a separate path of magic and thus she does not know it, nor does she recommend trying to learn it.

"Regrowing bones and flesh is a far different and more complex process than simply manifesting a flame or shifting the wind. Thus...most people only manage to master so much and give up once they hit a certain age or the limit of their comprehension. However, as the First Magician always said, "Anything is possible! Those clerics, priests, and some healers who dedicate themselves solely to life magic can reshape the body and give it new life!" Glacia worriedly always points out that those with the greatest accomplishments always pursue one thing to the exclusion of all else. While she recognizes that flexibility, for instance, using all four elements, is important in battle, she always reminds me that to reach the peak, I must focus my efforts. This, I agree with to some extent.

However, I believe that her mindset is a little too rigid due to how she was taught. The traditional oral teachings and few books on magic have imparted to her a set of rules on what can or cannot be done. In most cases, these rules are helpful and have sped up her learning. However, in some cases, they hinder her from trying new things. To her credit, however, once I tell her something which seems impossible, Glacia is eager to experiment once she gets over her shock.

For instance, my Disguised Casting and the ability to multicast two spells to create a stronger fusion combining Chill and Gust. Once she realized that it was actually possible, Glacia soon began to see if there was a way to replicate the feat using her own fast casting methods. In particular, she has really begun to wonder if the basic spell incantations can in fact be altered to create new spells. The professors at her school told her it was impossible, but I'm living proof that words are not technically necessary. As such...logically, it should be possible.

The days go by quickly now that I have a magical teacher. Glacia is in awe at the amount of mana I have at my age. It seems that the ability to increase your total mana storage, or mana pool, grows much slower the older you get. However, I'm still in my growing stage, and already I have the ability to cast almost as much magic as Glacia. Once again, I can only think that the reason this is so, is because I spent my years as a baby practicing Foresight. Or maybe it's just because I'm reincarnated, who knows?