Chapter 100: Lies

Woah...

Exiting the pipe, there's a massive, empty, chasm on the other side. I expected the sewers to be more cramped, but instead, it's...spacious. Only now, as I see what's awaiting us, do I truly understand the meaning of undercanals. At first, I expected us to be simply trawling through some simple sewers, but this place both is and isn't that at all. On one hand...very loosely, it could be defined as sewers. Certainly, the mucky water running over our feet and general function of the place resembles that. But I mean...all these passages...waterways...multiple levels...it'd be more apt to call this a city beneath the city! When Echo and Meera step out, they too pause for a second, stunned by the grand sight. The drop off in front of us allows a grand view of the area beyond. Columns of limey brown and green bricks form buttresses and supports for various giant pipes like the one we just came from. I count one...two...three...four...levels beneath us, and that's just what I can see from where we're standing. Doubtless, beneath the creepy mist and swirling shadows, there's plenty more. Sloping, spiraling ramps turn at sharp right angles to allow travel between pipes and levels. It seems you could go anywhere in the abyss with the correct path. However, with the multitude of places to choose from, it's impossible to say where exactly you need to go. Unless of course...you had a map.

"It's huge..." Meera mutters beside Echo, who glances at her and nods. For once, it seems they agree on something. "Why build it like this?

"The founders of Merekeep knew. But they're dead," the Stranger replies quietly. Even he has lowered his voice slightly now. As if in reverence. "Now do you see why the Ferry-Rat eludes me? This place is vast and few can navigate it. Even fewer still dare to come back here after meeting its inhabitants. I sent him to study the undercanals and sniff out its secrets. Unfortunately, he seems to have grown a bit...confused down here. He refuses to return to me. Still, his knowledge is critical to the plan. We must know what he learned!"

"What exactly are these inhabitants?" I ask quietly. At this, the Stranger falls silent. Staring out into the endless abyss, I get the impression that he's trying to remember something he read long ago. "Stranger? You do know what's down here, right?"

"Yes...and no..." the Stranger finally answers. He waves his hand. Pointing at one of the ramps. There's a group of hooded people on it. Waiting for us. They're all wearing masks like him. More associates? "The problem with the undercanals is that most people won't go down here. And those that do...either come once and never again...or...don't come back at all. Reliable information is hard to come by, you can imagine. There is... something...in these pipes. Madness, some have called it. Personally, I think it'd be more accurate to describe it as a corruption. A fiendish compulsion. You know of what I speak, yes? It is one of theirs."

Madness...corruption...fiends?

I've heard such words before.

"A Witch?" I utter quietly. It is both question and statement. The Stranger nods at my side. "Which one? Is it the Blood Witch? I've had dealings with Bloodfiends before."

"Have you?"

"Yes."

"Good. Then I won't need to tell you how dangerous fiends are," he says to me. Motioning at everyone to follow, the Stranger starts to walk down a ramp on our right to reach the group of men waiting for us below. "I know not exactly what monsters lie in this darkness. However, you can rest assured they are very real and very deadly. If you see something...or someone...and it isn't one of us...don't ask questions. Just kill. These sewers are supposed to be empty. But the growing number of disappearances begs to differ. Selena's done a terrible job of maintaining the place. We may have to cut out some of the corruption in her stead."