Chapter 63: The Mysteries Of Time

Strangely enough, Jarshan's lips twitch into what could almost be called a smile as he turns towards the speaker.

"And on what grounds do you propose to train a disciple...Elina Healer?" He asks. The opossum masked figure ghosts into existence behind me, and slender black-gloved hands land on my shoulders. Protectively, they curl around me. "You are not an Elder. The right to train a disciple is not yours." The other Elders nod. I realize that somehow, a few of them have put on their masks. There's a thick tension in the air. The hands on my shoulders tremble ever so slightly, before stilling.

"I agreed never to take the name of Rainstopper...but I never said I wouldn't take a disciple." Elina's voice behind her mask is determined. I can feel her shaking behind me, but she never shows a sign of it to the outside world. "The Secthead appointed me as Vice-Secthead. Maybe your brains aren't working right...perhaps you need healing? I can't imagine how you've all managed to forget so quickly. In Romy's stead, I have the right to make any decisions for the Sect I deem fit. I'd say taking a disciple isn't exactly...overstepping."

"She's just a cripple, why are you even listening to her! If she wasn't-" One of the female Elders speaks, but is abruptly cut off by Elder Heilan's barking order-

"Not now, Seane."

"Mmm..." Jarshan mutters to himself. The other Elders aren't happy. Many of them turn to Janus's master. However, he simply frowns darkly. His mask is still off, and gradually, those who put on their own masks remove them. Tapping his index finger to his chin, Jarshan looks at Elina and then Elder Heilan who shakes his head. Finally, the Overseer decides, "Very well then. The Vice Secthead is indeed allowed to make any and all decisions in the Secthead's absence. The boy is yours, Elina."

"Thank you." My savior, who still hasn't removed her mask, says without a hint of pleasure in her voice. Suddenly, a hand scoops me up. And then I'm flying away in the arms of another. In terms of speed, perhaps it isn't the fastest, Elina is careful with me, seemingly unaware that I've been carried by one powerful person or another since birth. Oddly enough, I feel strangely comfortable with her arm around my chest although something still seems off. I can't put my finger on it.

Within seconds, the plateau disappears along with the Elders and the other candidates. Instead, we end up at the hut where Natalia is staying. Not saying a thing, Elina releases me once it's over and goes to open the wooden door. Beckoning to me, she goes inside. Despite her lack of words, I can tell that she is paying close attention to me. It's the little things like how she waits until I'm inside before shutting the door that give it away. Inside the secluded hut, I'm once again bathed in shady darkness which is lit only by the light that manages to stream in from the hole in the ceiling. On the cot in the corner, Natalia is sound asleep, her small form barely moving under the blankets. As if sensing my question, Elina explains,

"She won't wake up for a while more." Going over to a stove, she rapidly strikes a piece of flint with superhuman speed, instantly sending sparks into the crude burner. "Young bones don't really know what they want to be. Hers healed in the wrong way. After so long...even my healing will take time. You're lucky...and Perideen...is an idiot for not bringing her himself. Taking a carriage with someone in her state...a few more days and even time reversal magic wouldn't be enough."

"Time...reversal?" My interest is piqued. "How exactly...does healing work?" Elina offers me a seat on one of two chairs at her tiny dining table which can barely fit two. Jesus, even Ikea is better than this.

"Oh? Changing your mind about becoming Secthead?" Though her mask is on, a note of surprise enters her voice. Also I daresay it kind of sounds like she's smirking just a bit. Hard to say. She goes about heating a kettle slowly on the stove, and crushing up some herbs she gets from one of the various cupboards above us. The hut is filled with various nooks, crannies, and shelves. "The domain of the Secthead is rather the opposite direction of...healing."