Chapter 18: How I Was Ambushed By A Dangerous Raccoon

*Thud*

Lately I've been sleeping in Glacia's arms. Though she usually stays up later than me to write her thesis, when I wake up in the morning, I'll be wrapped inside her body. To be honest, she seems to enjoy having the company just as much as me. Though I train myself to magical exhaustion by practicing Foresight or Disguised Casting everyday, every once in a while, I'll still wake up in the middle of the night due to a bad dream. Her comforting touch and lullabies always help me relax.

Sometimes, I'll catch Glacia having a night terror as well. She'll mumble incoherently, never words I understand, sometimes the language of the Half-Wraiths, other times just meaningless yells. On those nights, I do my best to turn around and bury her in my small body to make her feel just a little bit better. It's the least I can do. I've never said anything to her about it, and intend to take the secret with me to the grave. However...this morning, when I wake up, Glacia is not wrapped around me as usual. Instead...it seems my skull is on the ground.

Huh? Is that...?

"Alright Acolyte! I only know one way to teach you! So, get your butt moving!" A shadow stands over me in the candlelight. It's very obviously Romy, however, she's wearing a white kabuki racoon mask. On the floor of the guest bedroom, I try to understand what's happening. She pulls out two extremely wicked looking short swords and menacingly clacks their blades together. "Come on! You asked for this! Prove to me you're willing to learn!"

"What? Oh...okay!" It seems this is Romy's bizarre method of training. A sneak attack in the wee hours of the night, while I'm sleeping. How is this swordsmanship training? "What should I do?"

"Acolytes don't talk. They are silent and listen to their betters. Just because you're my cute nephew don't expect any lenience!" Romy's words are totally at odds with her stern voice. I can't reconcile the tough drill sergeant-like person in front of me with the woman who will happily cook dinner and ask for children. "This is how I learned so it's how you will too! Unless you want to quit!?"

*Clack*

*Clack*

Her swords make a distinct metallic noise when they bang together that is very disconcerting. Well, it's a bit weird, but Mark says that Romy is in fact much stronger than he is. So...maybe this is just what it takes to become strong for her? Whatever, I'll go with it. It's not like Romy would ever hurt me anyways, right?

*Smack*

"OWW!" Romy's precision kick to my backside is delivered by what I used to think are soft leather boots. I will never make that mistake again. "What was that for?!"

*SMACK*

"OWWWWW!" The second kick teaches me to shut up. Instinctively, I peek into the future and realize that if I say anymore, only pain awaits me. Okay, don't talk back. Got it!

"Good. Better. Shutting up and listening is how you learn." Romy's voice becomes quieter, but remains just as hard as I clench my teeth together and hold in my protests. I can't believe she'd really hit me! "Okay, go outside. And take this. Don't ever let it leave your side again. Unless you want to be punished!" She tosses me Mephis's dagger. Wait when did she get that? "Letting an enemy sneak in and take your weapon. Pathetic. We have a lot of work to do! Got it?"

"Mmm!" I grunt while nodding, not sure if I'm allowed to say anything and she hits me again.

*Smack*

The blow is a little softer this time at least.

"No noises. An Acolyte must be so silent that even the wind does not hear them coming." She says some more anime-like lines while threatening to beat the crap out of me. Not wanting to give her an excuse to hit me again, I get to my hands and knees. "Outside. Go on. If you can make it to the apple tree, you pass the lesson for today."

Myrr: Reincarnated Timemage Assassinजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें