Chapter 35: How I Remembered A Missed Alarm

So, my first time cooking for a guest is a resounding success. Sure, it's a five-year-old girl, but a win is a win, right? Once we're done, Natalia helps me with the dishes, but almost falls asleep midway. She ate so much...like seriously, I'm beginning to think that Pisa and Nadania aren't feeding her properly at all. Only oatmeal...the way she devoured that cheese...Natalia must be missing some key nutrients. Who knows what kind of food Demi-Cats need for a balanced diet, but from the looks of it, she hasn't been getting it. Ugh...was this part of your plan, Pisa? To starve your own daughter until I can't risk letting her return home? Well played...it's working. And I thought I was cruel in my last life...

When Natalia's head droops, her hands still clenched tightly around a wet dish towel, I realize that she's at her limit. Grabbing her hand, I guide her upstairs while carrying her backpack. At the top, I make sure she brushes her teeth in the bathroom while I go and finish the rest of the dishes. Finally, I go up and prepare for bed myself. By the time I'm done brushing my teeth, I find her curled up on the bed like a little human cat. Her fuzzy ears twitch as she dreams. I laugh.

Pfft...She's still just a kid. Really ate too much. But I guess that's a good thing for a growing girl. Let's see if we can fatten her up a bit while she's here.

"M...more...please...so...tasty..." She murmurs in her sleep. Smiling, I go and do a bunch of push ups and magic exercises in the corner. Not enough that I completely exhaust all my mana in case someone attacks at night, but my hope is that if I tire myself out, I won't have the energy for nightmares. An hour later, I go downstairs and check that the front door is tightly locked and all the windows are closed. Ever since Gatoa broke in...I feel like I can never be too careful.

"All clear!" Going back up, I close the bedroom door, and wonder how to tackle the problem in front of me. "Now, how are we going to do this? Mark keeps joking that he could make the bed smaller, but it's already pretty tiny. And I'm not getting any smaller..." The issue at hand is that Natalia has decided to occupy the very center of the bed. If I'm going to have any space, I'm either going to have to move her or curl up around her. Not looking to get arrested by the Isekai Police, I kneel on the mattress and try to push the sleeping Demi-Cat out of the way. She resists me, seemingly glued to the center of the bed.

"N-No! Mine! You can't kick me out! This spot is mine! Myrr said so!" My 'sister' mumbles about getting permission to stay there from the very person who is trying to move her. Unfortunately, I forgot about her amazing Demi-Cat strength. It's like wrestling with a demon. I might as well try to shift a mountain than move this little girl. Sighing, I resolve myself to just sleep on the edge of the bed tonight. Stretching out, I stare through the window into the silver moonlight wistfully. Romy...Mark...are you okay? I'm trying to do my best and wait for you like you told me to, but I don't know how long I can stay still while you're in danger. Hurry back soon!

#

[Truthseeker, did you find what you are looking for?

Do you realize you know nothing?

If you accept that fact, you can learn anything here...

Will you regret my offer?

Even if you do...I think it will be a beautiful mistake!]

That voice again...I've heard it before.

But where was it...

Or should I say, when was it...

Have I forgotten something important?

#

*Honk*

The streets of New York City are always bustling, even in the dead of night. It feels like the city just begins to wake up when the sun goes down and the lights turn on. In the summer, the heat is stifling, and right now there isn't even the slightest wind. You'd think there'd be wind this high up on my penthouse balcony. Standing on the wrong side of the safety railing, I can't help but think that this is wrong. But I have nothing to live for. I can see it. No one will text me. No one will call. All I have to do is jump. And I will disappear.