Chapter 21: Don't Agree With Me!

"Yes! YES! I'm right here!" I yell in her face, and she flinches. Her hand finds my cheek, and she pulls me down. I put my ear by her lips, and they're so chilly it's terrifying. "Glacia? He's coming soon! Can you run?"

"Shh...I can't run, Myrr. I think...I have to do something bad." She says it in a way that makes my heart drop out of my chest. No...no way! Glacia can't die! No way! "Before I do...I wanted to warn you. A little lesson, just the two of us. One last time."

"Haha, don't joke, Teacher." I'm acting stupid again. Just like with Mephis, Glacia wants to teach me something before she goes away.

Not again. NOT AGAIN!

This can't be happening again!

I've already learned this lesson!

God, why are you doing this to me again!

"You're going to be okay. Let me see your wound..." I fumble my fingers over her body. Though I'm intimately familiar with cuddling Glacia, I never wanted to feel her body like this. When I reach her stomach, my fingers come back sticky. Maybe it's vomit.

But vomit shouldn't be red.

"S-Stop, Myrr. I'm too...tired." Glacia groans quietly, her head falling down and I panic. Put my hands all over her, try to warm her with my forearms. "It's okay. It's okaaaay, Myrr. Promise me you'll listen. As my student you have to promise!"

*Scrrreeech*

It sounds like the demon is scraping his nails against the ice wall outside. Any second now, I expect him to punch his way through and finish me. But I don't care. What's in front of me is far more important than my own death right now!

"I promise! Whatever you say!"

"Good. Okay...that's good." Glacia trails off, and tears well up in her face as she smiles. "You're such a good student. Always...listening...never needs to be told...twice..."

"Glacia! Glacia?" I shake her head as she drifts off and she suddenly regains her clarity.

"H-uh? Oh...right..." The spikes in her snowy white hair stand up as she tries to think with all her might, "I was...going...to warn you...don't...agree with anything else...I say...tonight. Promise me...promise me you won't listen to me!"

"W-What?" I exclaim, but as Glacia's eyes grow frantic and her hands start searching for me, I immediately agree, "Of course! Yes! Don't agree with you! I understand!"

"A-Ahh...good boy." Abruptly, all the tension leaves her body. I'm terribly afraid that my teacher is dead, and I am now alone. But then she whispers one last thing. It's not a spell. Not even a chant. But it makes magic happen. Because she is Glacia Dicentia. My most treasured teacher. And she would give anything to save her student. "Oh, you Old Hag. Take it. Take my soul. Hell, take my body too. Haven't you been waiting?"

"G-Glacia?" I stammer as a new voice begins to whisper through my teacher's mouth. The one speaking is Glacia. But she has never sounded like this. Never so cold, never so frightening. It's like she's talking to herself-

"A deal then? You're finally willing to make a deal with me? You will enter my collection to protect the boy?" This voice has none of Glacia's warmth, her compassion, or her tiredness, even though it comes from her mouth. Instead, it only seeks to further itself. When the Glacia I know answers...it's with a tone of defeat. As if she's saying her last words,

"I agree to the Contract."

"So be it."

*KACHA*