Chapter 33: Crepe Delivery

When I get home, I'm carrying a little box of leftover crepes. Full of strawberries and crème, I still remember the smile on Natalia's face when I wiped off her little creme mustache. It left a little white whisker on her face, so she looked like a real cat cosplayer. Apparently, some Demi-Cats actually grow whiskers when they transform. However, for now at least, Natalia just looks like a normal girl, minus the cat ears and tail. When she's not transformed anyway. But the paws are cute too. Damn though, the girl can eat! Good thing I cheated Jeff out of his gambling money. No wonder Romy and Mark grow their own vegetables. Buying any sort of fancy food is so expensive! This crepe is big, but ten coppers is a lot of money for a small town! Still, it was worth it. I'd do it again. Every once in a while, spoiling a good girl isn't too bad. Is this why so many guys wasted their paycheck every month? Have I unwittingly become one of those sugar daddies I looked down upon?

Damn it, am I getting soft?

"Romy, I'm home!" I yell and look around as I open the door. However, there aren't any signs that Romy has been outside her room. Hoisting the leftover crepe box on my elbow, I pad inside and go upstairs. "I brought some leftovers! Strawberry crepe! It's still warm!" My hopes that my auntie would reply are dashed as only the silence and bouncing echoes of my own voice greet my return. Feeling the joy of the evening bleed out a little bit, I pad up the stairs. "Romy? Have you eaten anything? You should eat!"

...

...

...

Nothing. I go to her door and knock.

"Please? Mark wouldn't want to see you starve yourself while he's gone! Come on, the crepe guy seems a bit sketchy, but his food is actually really good!" I put my ear to the door and listen. Nothing. What the hell? Did she go out? I don't think so...there's no reason to leave at this hour. Maybe I need to play the guilt card? "Romy? You're scaring me!"

I was just acting afraid and childlike to try to get her to come out. But the fear in my voice gradually turns into something real. And it only grows worse as the silence stretches out longer and longer. Finally, my patience breaks. Real panic sets in. I try the doorknob, but it's locked.

It can't be...

She wouldn't...

Wouldn't do anything drastic...right?

I don't want to think about such things.

Maybe she is just sleeping a bit too heavily. After all Romy is very strong, so maybe she had to drink a lot to help her go to bed with Mark gone.

"A-Auntie Romy? Forgive me, but I'm going to come in! If you don't want me to, then say something!" I take a deep breath. Still no response. Okay, that's it. Taking a step back, I raise my leg and aim at the doorknob. "I'm coming in then!"

*Bang*

Though I'm still only six and a half, my body has grown quickly. Maybe it's this world's diet, but it probably has something to do with the harsh training which stimulates the Qi that Romy is always saying warriors need to master. My leg breaks through the thin wood of the master bedroom door, above the handle. Pulling my foot out of the hole, I reach inside and unlock it from the inside. Then I push the door open.

*Creak*

"A-Auntie?" I still call out even though I already activated my Foresight before kicking down the door. My disappointment becomes real, like a kick in the gut, as the empty bed and note on the table, appear. Even though she's gone, I can at least be glad that Romy is okay. Sighing, I turn off my Foresight. She's strong. Wherever she went...she'll be back...right? I hope I don't hear about a certain bastard king being killed in his sleep next week. "I guess...you're not here, huh?"