Chapter 83: The Stranger

Two years later...

*Tic*

*Toc*

*Tic*

Two minutes.

Is it enough?

I glance at the intricate little watch on my wrist. It more or less resembles an ornate version of what we used to tell time on Earth, before cellphones anyway. However, in this world, it cost a fortune, even with all the money I've accumulated from my business ventures this past year, I winced when I handed over the sack of gold. If Glacia hadn't put me in contact with one of her old classmates from the University, I doubt even money would have been enough. Maybe I can replicate the mechanics with magic. Need to investigate when I get the time...speaking of time...now should be good, right? There's no one around...okay!

[Frozen Wind of My Soul, Come Forth-Chill]

[Muddy Stone of My Endurance, Move Forth-Meld]

...

...

...

It's set. Should I make it bigger?

No...it might attract too much attention.

*Tap*

My feet on the slippery shingled roof almost slip. Though I've been training religiously with Meera this past year, it's slow going, getting my body to regain a lifetime of training after the healing. Did I really miss the best time to train as a warrior? One quick glance up at the sky. Pretty. The silvery-blue moon stares down at me like an all-knowing eye. It's bigger in this world than the one in my last life. Brighter and fluorescent, almost unnaturally so. A pang of worry comes over me as I think of Merekeep's so-called Omniscient Guard. Their famed ability to react to any threat has kept the peace in the cutthroat City of Assassins for many years. Tonight, I'll put their reputation to the test!

*Tic*

A mental countdown starts in my head, staring at the orbit of the moon. It hangs low in the sky. Once it reaches the highest point, my surprise 'gift' to the inhabitants of Merekeep will unwrap itself.

Time to get going.

Stepping spryly off the top of the slanted roof, I jump down from the pagoda onto the street. Merekeep seems to have an almost oriental style, reminding me of some of the ancient cities in Asia I once visited during my travels. Another life, another dream, yet I still can't help but wonder if some of the architectural themes are a little bit too similar to be a coincidence. How can they be the same though? This place seems a bit too different to be a parallel world. But I mean look at the palace? It can't be a coincidence, right?

My eyes wander across the nighttime city skyline to the large, expansive palace which towers over all of Merekeep. It's practically feudal like the Emperor of China or Japan might live inside. This is an Earth historian's wet dream...if I showed it to one of those old guys on the history channel, they'd definitely freak out...right? Still, I've been to the Forbidden City and it didn't look quite like this. No, it looks similar, but it's different. Just a quirk of time or space? Or maybe all human civilizations end up creating something like this? No that can't be right. And it's not like Sines or Tosa looked particular familiar. It's only here...at Merekeep. Another thing, the architecture definitely looks oriental, but the people...they're definitely not like the ones on Earth. Almost like a mix...what is this place?

*Tap Tap*

Traversing back alleyways and sprinting down a preplanned route, I make my way through the city in the dead of night with my mask on. After tonight, the Midnight Roc will be like a second face to me, when I'm up to no good. I think I understand why the Rainstoppers always put on their masks. It's like I can be whoever I want to be if no one can see my face. Still, I should hurry. It wouldn't be good to be seen, even with this on. Luckily, wearing a mask in the City of Assassins is hardly uncommon. Half of the inhabitants in Merekeep probably have their face covered at any given time, and the other half don't care. It'd be troublesome if someone managed to link my public face to my activities at night though.