Chapter 81: Stormstopper...?

*Caw Caw Caw*

"Jarshan, how long have I been Interim Secthead?" I squint towards the shadowy sky as the flock of migrating Mirebirds fly through the sky. A sense of familiarity runs through me. This is how it was when Perideen came. Before I left home.

"About five years," Jarshan replies. His bushy beard has been trimmed, and he no longer seems bored like when I first met him at the beginning of the Trials. Instead, the old wolf seems practically brimming with enthusiasm to see each day. Over the last couple years, he's become my right-hand man. Jarshan does the things that I would never ask Elina to do. House-cleaning, keeping the Sect free of those who don't match my image, so long as I continue to work towards our goal, he's willing to do anything. After a while, with no word on Romy's status, he's dropped the 'interim' part of my title. To be honest though, I don't still completely trust him. "Something on your mind, Secthead?"

"Not really." Dejectedly, I sigh. It's starting to disturb my mentality, even if Romy's absence helps me maintain control over the Sect.

Auntie...where are you? Are you still protecting Mark? You've missed so many birthdays...not that I mind, but I can't understand what could be taking you so long. Don't tell me I'll be able to legally drink before I see you again? Hehe, drinking laws. It's been a long time since I've thought about that. Not like this world has any.

"Do you know what the Sect has started to call you?" Jarshan senses my bad mood. The old wolf has a funny personality. Totally willing to slit your throat and crack a joke while he's at it. Bastard's...almost likeable.

"What do you mean?" Narrowing my eyes, I glance back at my head of assassins. Jarshan is my pack leader, and I am the man in the shadows, commanding the baying hounds. "I believe I informed everyone to act as if Janus was Interim Secthead. They shouldn't be referring to me by any name unless necessary. I hope they remember this...for their sakes."

"Heh, Kiddo." Jarshan chuckles, ignoring my obvious annoyance. He knows that at the end of the day, he's irreplaceable. As such, he's allowed to know certain parts of the plan. And piss me off. "You might be a genius, but sometimes, you forget how regular people think. Did you really think declaring Janus as Interim Secthead would keep things under wraps forever? Word spreads...especially when it's about a monster mage like you."

"So long as it's only within the Sect," I reply. Watching the Mirebirds caw and circle overhead in ever tightening concentric spirals, my voice turns hard, "If the Daggas Clan and Merekeep were to learn my identity as the next Secthead, it would make things problematic...as you very well know, Jarshan."

"Yes, yes! I'm sure it has everything to do with them...and nothing to do with keeping Romy unaware of your activities!" He continues to chuckle even as I shoot him dirty looks. Okay, maybe it has a little bit to do with keeping Romy from finding out I'm here. "But don't you want to know?"

"Know what?"

"What the Sect calls you!" Jarshan clearly is too excited to let this go. Tiredly, I give up and wave my agreement.

"Well?" Out of patience, I ask, "What do they call me?"

"Hehe, you'll love this!" He comes right up behind me and whispers in my ear delightedly, "They decided that since you're not really the Secthead yet, Raingod, is a bit much. But still, your performance at the Trials has inspired them. So, they decided to give you an interim name. Myrr Stormstopper. That's what they call you!"

Stormstopper?

"That's kind of lame..." I blurt out without thinking. "Why can't I just be a Rainstopper like everyone else?"