Chapter 46: The Power Of Ice

Caution to the wind. If having a child on his back is slowing him down any, I don't sense it. The hallways blur by and I have to tense my neck muscles every time Perideen makes the slightest turn to keep my head from snapping sideways. The Blood Rats behind us are building in number. Doubtless with so many squealing monsters in our wake, some of them must be of the exploding variety. Locking my jaw, I can't resist the curiosity and crank my neck sideways while clinging tightly to the assassin. Behind us, a sea of mutated flesh and red eyes surge along the Mausoleum. The quiet and empty has completely disappeared, replaced by tidal waves of sheer chaos!

There's a turn coming up. Two absolutely enormous Blood Rats round the corner. Perideen warns me before we get there-

"Don't let go!" And then leaps up...my world tilts-

Wwwwhhy?!

Suddenly we're running on the wall, and gravity is pulling my body sideways. The assassin is literally defying physics and I hook my legs in tightly around his waist. Each thump of his legs along the wall, threatens to dislodge me. I see his blade travel out, a long silver line in the light of his gemstone which has become a blue blur at the speed we're going. He lashes out at the rats with the flat of the blade, knocking their giant bodies back into the horde. Then we're off the wall and the world stops being slanted, however, normal feels wrong now. Everything spins dizzily as my internal bits slosh around.

"Urgh..." Doing my best to control my breathing, I am grateful that I practiced moving my body with Gust in the past. I probably would have vomited for sure otherwise. Perideen looks back at me with concern over his shoulder, but seeing that I'm still hanging on, he nods and speeds up again. More family tombs pass by, a swarm of Blood Bats appears, but I toss out the remaining holy water vials and detonate them for a low-mana explosion. The bats scatter out of the sky and flop about dizzily as the noise shatters their sensitive eardrums. Up ahead, there's a grand opening in the main corridor. A plaque on the side is surrounded by burnt out torches.

Tosa General Burial Tomb

"Damn thing better be in here!" Perideen grumbles. Not wanting to be surprised, I slam on the gates to the future and look ahead to see what's waiting for us in there. My aching arms tighten around Perideen's neck. "H-Hey, Kid, loosen up a bit!"

What...the...!

OH CRAP!

He doesn't know.

We're going in there?

THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!

Perideen can't see it yet. If what was behind us was a sea of mutated monsters, the place before us is far worse. My eyes widen, and I try to take it all in. Within a second at this speed, we will pass through the doors. And enter...hell.

This isn't a sea...it's an OCEAN!

Blood Rats as far as the eye can see. Their snouts sniffle in the air as they hunger for flesh. A huge crypt almost as wide as a soccer field. The walls are lined with broken, rotted, coffins. Their contents have been ripped out of their eternal rest and shredded open by an uncountable number of tiny jaws. And in the very back...a great red wreath, this disgusting silken cocoon which looks like the work of the world's biggest spider. Woven in blood, mucus, and gore, it pulses sickly. A dark glow illuminates something...turning and squirming in its depths. The crimson cocoon is alone, suspended on the back wall, a regal throne for the Bloodfiend inside. However, its servants number in the hundreds...no perhaps thousands between us and their king.

Why did we even bother luring more of them here?

There's already WAY too many of them!