Chapter 30: How The God Of Gambling Was Reborn In This World

"Hahaha, snake eyes again, you have the worst luck!"

There's a group of three men rolling dice outside the market and trying to guess the outcome in a game of chance. While I'm trying to keep a low profile, and also, I get the feeling Mark probably wouldn't approve of me scamming the locals, it's really their fault if you think about it. You can't gamble in public and expect me, the god of gambling, to not take advantage of the opportunity...right?

"Hey, Old Man! You want to make a bet?" I saunter beside their table and make my young eyes as wide as possible. Immediately, the local degenerates home in on a good opportunity to make some easy money.

"Haha, you want to play, Kid? Do you even have any money?" Though they act like they're not interested, I can see the hungry glint in their eyes which reminds me of Romy when she imagines my future as a never-ending bank account powerful mage. "Well?"

"Umm, I only have a few coppers. But I'm very lucky." Though it's not a lot of money, scum like this would never miss a chance to scam a child's lunch money. Immediately, when I take out my measly twelve coppers, they laugh. However, one of them, a scrawny fellow with a sad goatee happily accepts my challenge.

"Alright Kid, I'll match you. You want high or low?" It seems that their game of choice is to roll two dice. If the sum of both die is a six or lower, than the one who called low, wins. Seven or higher and high wins. My hidden smile widens. Putting a hand in front of my mouth so they can't see, I pretend like I'm thinking. The gambling games on Earth were never this simple in casinos. There were too many people with advanced statistics degrees who could exploit them. However, such a thing as statistics probably doesn't exist in this world.

"Um, how about you roll them, first?" I can't see far enough into the future yet, to safely guess the outcome, so I move the game along. The degenerate throws his two dice into the cup. I wouldn't be surprised if they are weighted. He probably thinks that since I only have twelve coppers, if he plays me enough times, he'll eventually win it all no matter how lucky I get. However...such a strategy has one risk.

You might meet a monster like me!

"So, you're betting everything on this roll? Remember, once we start, we play until we're out of money, because we're adults. This is your last chance to back out. If you're scared." The playful sneer he gives me is perfectly calculated to make a hot-headed kid unable to walk away. Unfortunately, his obvious attempt to scam me, only makes me laugh harder inside. Play until we're out of money, huh? Well, you asked for this...

"Sure! But if I take all your money, no going back on your word okay? You have to give it to me!" I say and he seems a bit startled. Then he exchanges mischievous glances with the other degenerates, already counting my money as his.

"Of course, we're all honorable men here! If you can beat me until I run out of money, naturally it's all yours." He smirks and shakes the tin cup with a rattle and dramatic flair. Plopping it down on the little table, the distinct clink of two dice smacking onto the wooden tabletop comes out underneath. "So...high or low?"

"Wait, how do I know if you're cheating? If you get to remove the cup yourself, you might do something to the results while I can't see. How about I get to take the cup off?" I reach for the upside-down cup on the table, and my poor foe gives a fake-hurt look to the others as if he's insulted.

"Alright, if it makes you feel better! But you better not be cheating either, Kid. We're experienced gamblers, if you try anything funny, we'll know!" He declares. "Now hurry up, high or low?"

Experienced gamblers?

You dare to talk big in front of me?

Please, I was secretly responsible for six casino bankruptcies before I was legally allowed to gamble!