Chapter One- Coming home.

~Randy's point of view~

I retired two weeks ago. I placed my home up for sale, and I am moving back to my hometown. I know my ex is still there. I can deal with her. I also know that my girlfriend lives there. I am hoping that this gives me the answers I need with her. It's been a struggle lately. I don't see her as much as I would like, but I am also starting to feel like more is going on.

I met her when I was thirty-three, and she was nineteen. I met her at the country club. She was working her way through school. She showered me with attention, and I paid for her school. I cheated on my wife, but our marriage was over long before Jennifer came along. I didn't leave because we had a daughter.

She was eight when I met Jennifer. The night my wife got pregnant with Xyla was the last night we were together like that. I went eight years alone. The whole time I knew my wife was screwing my friend. I let it go. I was done, and so was she. We didn't marry for love in the first place. Never did I ever think at fifty that I would never know what love felt like. I do, though. I know I don't love Jennifer. I'm half hoping we can get there with me moving back.

I didn't have to do anything to pack this house. I have two people that work for me. They don't really work for me. They are like family; they were with my parents, and when my parents died, I brought them with me to my house. Geneva and I had separate ends of the house. When she and I divorced, I brought them with me here. They packed everything but my room. I did that.

I already have a home in my hometown. I bought it when I knew I was retiring. The girls have already gone there. It's just me here, and I'm in a hotel. I have two more days at work then I'm done. I have put in my time. I didn't even need to. I have money. I have more money than I will ever spend.

A knock comes on my hotel door. I know who it is before I even answer. I guess it's not a good sign when I shudder at the sound of her knock now.

This is the life I chose. I have to deal with it. 

~Two weeks later~

I have been back home for two weeks. It's been eye-opening. I still only get my Sundays with Jennifer. I do still get my Wednesdays with her and her nieces. She takes them to tumbling on Putnum county. They were tiny when they started; they are now eleven and six. I love those girls. I have spent a lot of time with them over the years.

I know what I need to do with that situation. The only reason I don't is because of the girls. I don't know much about their parents. I know they love their dad. They talk about him all the time; They are both daddy's girls. There is an obvious disconnect between them and their aunt; I am now fourteen years into this affair. You would think I would know more about her.

I stop at the locally owned gas station here. There are two. One is a chain gas station, and Elsa owns this one. She and her husband have owned it for as long as I can remember. I know he died a few years back. I am sure she still owns it. I pump my gas then go in to get a water. I stand there in shock as I watch my daughter.

I haven't seen her in ten years. She is my biggest regret. I am frozen in that spot; I just watch her. Then my feet move towards her. She steps back and bumps into me. I see the shock on her face.

Xyla: "What are you doing here?"

Randy: "I stopped to get gas and came in for a drink. I wasn't expecting you to be here."

Xyla: "I work here, Dad. I have worked here for two years. You've never come in here before."

I am blown away by the fact my daughter is working at a gas station. She shouldn't be working, period.