Chapter Five- I need you.

~Randy's point of view~

Xyla and the kids have been here a week. Since they have been here, I haven't touched Sydney. I have stayed away from her, and we've gone back to how we have always been. I have still tried to be a better man. I feel like I have changed. I can't say for sure because I don't know how they perceive me.

I have been looking at houses with Xyla. I don't think she likes any of them. I know she has some to look at today, but I have plans with Jennifer. I had them with her before all of this happened. I also want to see if I still feel the way I have been. I know that I still want Sydney. I can't keep pulling her in then pushing her away. She deserves better than that.

Randy: "Xyla, I have somewhere I need to be today. I know that you have homes to look at today. I trust your opinion. If you like one of the two, I would like to see it before you make an offer."

Xyla: "Ok. Sydney, would you want to go with me?"

Sydney: "Umm.."

She looks at me. I hate that they think they have to have my permission to do anything. I don't know if it because they technically work for me or that she and I have some kind of relationship.

Randy: "I think that is a great idea. I'm glad you two get along. You both need someone. Xyla, we both know Matt kept you sheltered. Sydney, you just choose not to go out. After you, two look at the houses, go do something. I'll pick the kids up today."

Xyla: "Are you sure?"

Randy: "I'm positive. I am pretty sure my grandkids like me more than you these days."

Xyla: "That's because I tell them, no, and you give it to them anyway."

Sylvia: "That is what grandparents are supposed to do, Xyla."

Sydney: "Sorry, mom, that will never happen for you."

Sylvia: "That is ok. I have Sophia and Austin."

Randy: "Let me do what I want with them, Xyla. I missed out on so much of your life; let me make up for it with them. I don't need everything that I have."

Xyla: "I don't mind it. I just don't want them to have the spoiled rich kid attitude."

I laugh. I am not the spoiled rich guy, and neither is Xyla. No one in my house is, and we all have money. We all have good heads on our shoulders. Xyla has lived a different life. She knows first hand what it's like to struggle. I take no credit for her. I owe my parents for the other two and me.

I dread it, but I leave and make my way to where Jennifer wanted to meet. I know what I need to do, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It's been fourteen years. I don't love her, but I can't just walk away either. I don't know how Xyla did so easily. I would never tell her that. I also think Tryzdin helped a lot with her.

I take a deep breath and enter the hotel.

~Sydney's point of view~

I wanted to say yes as soon as Xyla asked. I know he hasn't touched me in a week. I am ok with that. He used me, and I let him. I won't hold it against him, but I will not do anything he doesn't want me to.

I have known Xyla since high school. We were friends back then. We picked up right where we left off, but I get nervous because of Randy. Even though we aren't together, I still feel the need for his approval.