Chapter Four- I have to be better.

~Randy's point of view~

I can't keep my shit straight. I went to bed alone; I woke up in Sydney's bed. It's been that way the last two days. I will go to sleep in my bed and find my way to hers in the middle of the night. We haven't been together again. I have managed not to violate her anymore.

I have had lunch with Xyla every day this week. We have consistently gone to Rutters. Today I want to go somewhere else. I send her a quick text.

~Text conversation~

Randy: "Want to go to Blue Bell?"

Xyla: "You driving?"

Randy: "I'll pick you up."

~End conversation~

I am still in Sydney's bed when she comes out of the bathroom. She doesn't speak. I don't either; Iit's weird between us. She gets back in bed, and I pull her to me. I just want to hold her. That's what I did until she backed her ass up on me. I couldn't control my friend downstairs at that point.

I do what I always do and walk away after. I take a shower then head out to pick up Xyla. Her house isn't far from mine. Nothing is in this town; It's not very big.

~Text conversation~

Randy: "I am here."

Xyla: "I'll be right out."

~End conversation~

I enjoy spending time with Xyla. I just wish she would open up and talk to me. I know she still doesn't trust me. I don't think I would either. I've been a shitty father. I'm just glad she is still young enough for me to make up for it.

I chose Blue Bell because it was her favorite restaurant as a kid. It didn't surprise me one bit that she got the chicken and dumplings. That all I remember her getting as a kid. I'm glad to see that some things never change. We head back home after we eat. We get close to her house.

Xyla: "Shit."

Randy: "He is home early."

Xyla: "He is."

Randy: "Do you want me to stay?"

Xyla: "No. He is just an ass; he isn't violent."

Randy: "I really don't like you being here with him."

Xyla: "Won't be much longer."

I hate leaving her here. I don't trust Matt; I still hug her and leave. I get home and find the girls on the couch. I lock eyes with Sydney. She doesn't seem to be bothered by the things I do to her. If she is, she hides it really well.

My phone rings.

~Phone conversation~

Randy: "Hello?"

Xyla: "Hey, I need a favor."

Randy: "What's that?"

Xyla: "Can the kids and I stay with you until I find a place I am happy with?"

Randy: "Of course. When are you coming?"

Xyla: "As soon as I get the kids from school."

Randy: "Do you need me to come with my truck?"

Xyla: "Please?"

Randy: "I'll head there now."

Xyla: "Thanks, Dad."