Part 16

"My name is Apollo Stephan, our royal families dance instructor. Since this is simply a first go for most of you, you can dance with whoever of the other selected you wish. Traditionally every gentlemen would pair up with a lady for a ballroom dance, but since this is a rehearsal you can be with who we have available. We are lucky though as we have the princesses, Charlotte and Isabelle here to help out, as they are both excellent dancers." Apollo said with a sense of pride in his voice.

I lean over to Isabelle and whisper, "Does Thomas know you're doing this?"

She shakes her head, "Nope. He left straight from lunch to do work and I told him I was just going to hang out with you."

I laugh, thinking what my brother would say if he found Isabelle dancing in the arms of another man.

Izzy and I were in matching dresses, ballgowns that were plain but similar to those you would dance in to help us practise.

The selected boys were all in small huddles around the room in matching black suits, chatting as they waiting for the lesson to begin.

Apollo came over to Isabelle and I, smiling broadly as he rubbed his hands together, clearly eager to begin, "Ladies, would you like to pick a dance partner first."

Isabelle looked to me keenly, "Oh I would love to. There's been someone I'm meaning to get to know." She said to me before moving through the crowd of boys swiftly.

After a minute Isabelle returns with William on her arm, "Charlotte, I'm going to get to know William, since you royals already know him." She looks to me, waiting expectantly to see my reaction.

"Oh, that's good." I say, smiling at Isabelle who is grinning back at me, before looking at William who looks smugly at me.

William looks to Isabelle, "I want all the details Miss Isabelle, I bet Charlotte talks about me all the time."

Isabelle laughs and pulls him aside, "Oh, we have a lot to talk about." She says and William nods and tells her, "I remember coming to a ball once during your selection and I saw you.." But the rest of their conversation goes unheard by me as Isabelle pulls him along with her out of earshot.

"Miss Charlotte, you need to pick a partner."

I turn to Apollo's voice and nod.

"Yes, alright, well I believe I owe Mr. Halter a dance." I say, searching for Mason around the room. I meet his blue eyes instantly and he extends a hand out to me.

"I better give you a warning, I've never tried ballroom dancing. Sorry in advance if I step on your toes." Mason says honestly as I place my hand in his.

I smile encouragingly at him, "You'll do fine. I've been ballroom dancing since I could walk pretty much, so I can help teach you."

"Everyone, pair up quickly and split up into two groups. Miss Isabelle and her partner on one side please and Miss Charlotte and her partner on the other. I think it best to split the two best dancers up so we can work with the two groups one at a time. I want even number of pairs on each side, as we need to maximize space for this dance."

Apollo's voice was loud and demanding and everyone quickly fell into line with what he said.

Mason had a hand on the small of my back, following my lead as I moved around the room to stand with our group, waiting for further instructions from Apollo.

I could see William and Isabelle chatting away on the other side of the room, every so often one of them glancing at me. I was glad they were getting along.

"First group, Miss Charlotte's side of the room." Apollo called out and 6 couples took the floor, including Mason and I. The others stood around the edge of the room, sitting on various seats along the walls.