Part 11

At breakfast I told the guys about the elimination and what that meant to me. I explained that I chose each of the remaining guys because I was interested in building a connection with them and hopefully getting to know them better. I also said none of them had unimpressed me thus far, like one of the previous guys had done.

There was still someone I hadn't been on a date with yet, and that was Hunter. I had kind of being avoiding him since our almost kiss, and so had William apparently. Hunter and Will seemed to have a good friendship since the first day, and I feel like I may have ruined that. They didn't sit together at breakfast and wouldn't even look at each other.

Either way, I needed to face Hunter at some point, so at the end of breakfast I approached him.

"Mr Evans, would you like to accompany me on a date?" I ask and he turns to face me with a grin, nodding keenly.

"Of course Princess." Hunter says with a smile, standing and extending his arm out to me. The few selected in the room glance over at us, including Will who seems particularly unhappy.

Once we got out of the room I looked to Hunter, "So what's the plan for today?" He asks me and I nod to the gardens we are heading towards.

"How's your horseriding skills?" I ask with a grin and Hunter rolls his eyes. We head outside and start walking towards the stables.

"Not everyone has a personal stable at their disposal." Hunter says and I laugh.

"True. Well don't worry, I can teach you."

The stable keeper, Merida, is checking up on some of the horses as we arrive. I smile to her and she shoots me a grin, curtsying as I approach, "Nice to see you your highness." Merida says, flattening her strawberry blonde hair and wiping the muck off her hands.

"As it is you Merida. Is Opal here?" I ask, referring to my main horse that I ride. Opal is a beautiful black horse and I've been riding her for years.

The stable keeper nods, "John changed her onto some new shoes, so she should be good to go." Merida tells me and I nod.

"Any suggestions for who Hunter should take out?" I ask and Merida smiles.

"I think Maple is keen for a ride, and she doesn't cause trouble so she should be perfect."

I nod, glancing to Hunter with a grin. He gives me a nervous look and I laugh, pulling him along with me into the stables.

"First, footwear. We have plenty of shoes you can use, since I'm not riding in heels. And don't worry; they are all clean." I say, looking at all the boots and grabbing a pair that might fit Hunter and passing them to him.
I take my own pair and sit down on one of the benches to remove my heels. We spend a few minutes swapping our shoes, Hunter shooting me winks when I catch his gaze.

I stand, "Right, grab Maple here, she's already got on a bridle so I'll grab you a saddle." I say and unlatch Maple's stall, nodding for Hunter to go in while I go and fetch a saddle.

When I get back Hunter's standing beside Maple, seeming a little nervous as he holds tightly to the reigns.
I give Maple a calming stroke over her head and along her side as I put the saddle on her.

"Merida, could you-" I start, going to ask her to fetch Opal, but she already knows what I'm thinking.

"Sure." She says and wanders down to another stall.

I turn to Hunter, "The horse isn't going to hurt you as long as you're calm. Just relax." I say, adjusting the saddle pad and saddle position. Then I attach the girth and move to the other side to wrap it around and tighten it. I adjust the stirrups slightly and check each piece of equipment on the horse one last time.