Part 6

I had everything ready by the time Tate was due to arrive. I had planned a bit of an artsy date, since Tate had mentioned a few times that it was his passion. I had turned the crafts and sewing room into an arts studio for the afternoon, hoping he would catch onto my thinking. We could paint, watercolour, draw or even sculpt with clay if he wanted.

I had even dressed for the occasion in a cute pair of blue overalls and tied up my hair in two pigtails. Maybe I looked like a child, but I thought it would be cute and functional.

I sent a maid to get Tate and escort him up here while I finished setting up, as this room was on the fourth floor, and I assumed he'd arrive any moment.

A knock at the door made me rush over, but before I opened it I took a deep breath, trying not to seem too eager. It was my first official selection date after all, so it was a little exciting.

Opening the door I immediately locked eyes with Tate's dark green ones. He took in my outfit and I knew then it was silly. I should have changed my hair.

Tate finally opens his mouth, "You look-"

"Stupid I know." I say. I knew the pigtails might have been too much.

Tate smiles, "I was going to say cute."

"Thank you. You look nice to, but we might get messy anyway, so come in." I suggest and Tate smiles and comes in, looking around the room as he does so and I shut the door.

"Woah, this place is so cool." Tate says, clearly impressed by the set up of the space.

I nod, "I thought you might like it." I say.

"Is that a camera?" Tates says, pointing to the little black device on the far side of the room.

It's set up on a tripod and swivels around at our movement.

"Oh, yeah it is. But don't worry, it's only for photos. This whole selection business requires me to have some kind of thing to show the public about my dates. I'd requested not to have a camera man lurking so they set up this tripod thing." I explain and Tate just nods slowly.

"So it sends the photos to the public?" He asks, a bit concerned.

I shake my head quickly, "No, I have to approve anything that gets sent. I can approve anything or nothing."

I try to comfort him but he seems worried about it.

"And if you don't want anything shown, that's perfectly fine. It's up to you. You shouldn't worry about it for now though." I say, trying to make him feel more comfortable with it.

"Right," Tate says, taking it all in and seeming more hesitant.

I point to the canvases in the middle of the room, the floor being lined with a plastic layer in case of spillage, "We can do some painting if you want. I mean I'm not much of a painter though." I say with a shrug.

"I'm sure you're great. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of painting actually," Tate says and walks over to the canvases, admiring the materials, "This is some seriously high quality stuff you have." Tate tells me and smiles as he looks up.

I move to my canvas, but now it's blocking my view of Tate as he's hidden behind his, "Yeah, royalty has its perks. Hmm, what should I paint?" I ask and sort through the colours.

"Well, what are you interested in?" Tate asks, and I can see he already has an idea as he begins testing different colour swatches on his palette.

"I like fashion magazines." I say, not sure how that would really help me.

Tate responds from behind his canvas, "Then design an outfit, or a dress or something. Just express yourself however you want." He tells me and I smile at that.