Part 46

"The winter festival I liked. The dancing was fun."

Jack's sitting across from me, picking at the remainder of the snacks left on the platter. Despite everything that had happened recently, the selection was still moving ahead and I still needed to go on dates.

I chose to spend time with Jack, because he was easy to get along with and respectful, so he wouldn't bring up any of the drama.

And it helped to distract myself chatting with Jack, who was sitting causally across from me in just his nice dress shirt. His blazer hung over the back of his chair, as he had taken it off once we sat down.

"Yes, it was fun. Quite extravagant but they do it every year." I say and notice his eyebrows raise.

"Every year? Wow."

I nod with a smile, "Mum and dad love throwing events."

"You know what I find funny?" He asks, leaning back with a smile.

Huh? Hadn't I been talking about my parents throwing events. How was that funny?

Jack continues, "How weird it is that your parents are the king and queen. Like you're an actual princess. Every few minutes I remember and have to fix my posture or remember to smile."

That makes me smile. Jack was so easy to talk to and I got along with him well, so conversation was casual and relaxed.

I lean my elbows on the table, which I know is impolite but it was only the two of us anyway, and rest my chin in my hands.

"It's so weird hearing you say that. My life just seems normal to me. I'm used to it. Having a straight back when I sit down and giving a smile to a camera is just natural for me now."

"I bet. Growing up here would be so different." Jack says, automatically gazing around the room.

"What's your family dynamic? Are you all about the rules or more laid back?" I ask, taking a handful of the remaining grapes off the plate.

"Well, my parents are pretty chill. Jane and I have never been too crazy that they've needed to be strict or anything."

"That's sounds about right. You seem quite well mannered."

Jack laughs softly, running a hand over his short hair modestly, "I like to think so."

I run my hands through my own hair, fluffing out the long locks before looking back to Jack.

"Some of the selected boys I couldn't stand with what they would say. It surprises me seeing such lack of manners." I say honestly.

"Tell me about it. And it's sad I have to say, it was probably worse when you weren't around in the beginning." He admits to me and I raise an eyebrow curiously.

"Really?"

Jack nods, "It wasn't always about you though. Some would trash talk the place, others the staff or service. It was ridiculous. Is constant attention not enough for them or something?"

I breath out a laugh, finding myself smiling at his humour surrounding the situation.

"I can't expect they'd get much better than this palace." He adds.

"You'd think so. I hate people who are disrespectful when they sighed up and are coming here for free."

He agrees with me, "Exactly. At least the worst ones are gone now."

"Oh, but I've seen some interviews that some of the boys now back at home have been doing and it's even worse. They make up stuff about me being horrible or the treatment they received. It's terrible." I tell him, thinking of all the crap I've seen people like Victor telling to reporters.