CHAPTER ONE

It was a very tiring day for Stephen. He had been working since morning. Being the only adult male child to Catherine and Robert, he had to ensure everything at home was in place. ''The flowers really look neat,'' Catherine remarked as she came out of the house. ''You know mom, am just good at this,'' replied Stephen without looking at this mother as his attention was on what he was doing. ''You are right but that is simply because I brought you up that way.'' Catherine retorted. ''I suppose you are wrong,'' Robert said, ''he is my son and he takes after me. Therefore, I deserve all the credit.'' ''Mom, I think dad is right,'' begun Stephen's little sister, Christine. ''I do all the home chores by myself. I sweep, I cook, I wash the dishes and yet you do not find reason to appreciate my work.'' ''Are you jealous?'' asked Stephen looking behind where his sister was. ''And why should I be?'' Christine replied rather feeling sad. ''Come on the both of you, stop arguing. Christine, it is not what you think. It is not that if I do not say it then I don't appreciate your hard work. I really do but if that's what you want, then I always will say it,'' said Catherine smiling. ''Alright, alright. You can all go back and let me work. You do much of talking and if you carry on like this, I won't finish what am doing,'' Stephen said. ''Oh yes! when Stephen is done working, please Christine you should come and sweep the leaves and flowers down here and mom is going to be proud of you,'' said the little notorious boy who was the youngest of all as he ran away knowing Christine was going to get back on him.
When Stephen was left alone, his little brother Justin came back carrying a slasher in his hands. ''Exactly just what do you want to do?'' Stephen asked. ''I want to help you with slashing the grass in the orchard, it is growing very tall you see.'' ''You won't manage to do it. So please just sit down and keep me company.'' ''I won't listen to you.'' ''Alright then let me see you do it.'' Justin with so much confidence trying to prove his brother wrong set to work. For some time and with all his power, he could not seem to get the grass slashed not even at the very least. Without a word, he put down the tool and went away hoping Stephen did not see him because he was very sure his brother would laugh at him till, he cried.
''Enough for the day, please come and have lunch,'' Catherine called out to her son. ''Right away, am almost done.'' Just then, Stephen rushed to the kitchen. He cleared all the food set before him and even asked for more. Christine claimed that Stephen ate twice as much as everyone else did but Stephen retorted saying he only ate that much when he did a lot of work. As a matter of fact, he was even better off as he accused his sister of eating twice every meal, that is when cooking, women always have their share in the name of tasting if the food was good enough and then eat once again with everyone else at the main meal. At this, Christine had nothing to say.