CHAPTER TWENTY

For some days, Derrick was in a dilemma. He did not know what to do, whether to let Taphen go or not. Every night, his mind was occupied with what Stephen told him. The harder he thought, the more clueless he became. On one hand, he felt it was unfair to have fallen in love with his best friend's girlfriend and on the other hand, he really loved Taphen and for a fact, love doesn't choose.
On one night, Derrick had a strange dream. In that dream, an Adonis snatched Taphen away from him. He was so hurt that even when he woke up, his eyes were filled with tears. This made the situation worse for him but crystal clear of what he needed to do to get out of the dilemma. Each time he thought about the dream, he felt just how much pain Stephen was going through. He then decided that he would let Taphen get back with Stephen but the problem was on how to convince Taphen.
Little Justin was playing in the dust with his toy cars when he saw Derrick.
"Hey my boy." Said Derrick with a bright smile. "Where have you been? I missed you so much." Mouthed Justin making up a long face. "I am sorry little king for not showing up.'' ''Is that all?'' ''Hmmmm, okay. I promise that I will not miss a day without coming to see you. Do we have a deal then?" "Yes of course." Conceded Justin while jumping up and down.
"Well then, where is your brother?"
"There he is"
"Derrick?" Stephen called rather startled.
"Steph"
"It is good to see you here. How have you been?"
"I have been fine. Hope you are okay. So, to what do I owe this pleasant visit?"
"Justin, mind excusing us for some time?" asked Derrick.
"Of course not."
"Yes Steph, I think we need to talk."
"Alright, am listening."
"I thought about what you told me, something about us putting aside our differences. It is all done. We have to give our friendship a fresh start. There is only one issue here to sort out, and that is you getting back the love of your life."
At this moment, Steph fidgeted in such a position that he seemed to have been paying extra attention.
"Yes Stephen, I realized that it was a great err to have taken something that had rightfully belonged to you."
"No Derrick, on that one, I am to blame. You had no idea Taphen and I were in a relationship. Had I let you know she was my girlfriend to begin with, it wouldn't have come to this."
''Thanks for understanding but I really want to make things right between the two of you."
"Derrick, the love you have for her is real. You stood by her when I was not there for her. I do not want to hurt her anymore. She deserves better, someone like you. I know last time I came to plead with you to leave her, but I think I was just being obsessive."
"Shush Steph. What are you even talking about? It was not your fault that you did not trust her when she needed you to. Had I been in your place, I sure would have behaved in the same way or maybe even worse. We should not waste time arguing who is right for her, it is obvious that it is you. What we should worry about now is how to convince her. You know she is madly in love with me. I just need you to answer this one question, do u truly love Taphen as before?"
"Of course, man, I really do. My love for her has never changed. I love her whole heartedly."
"Perfect. And since we will work together in making things right, shake my hand."
"I am so happy Derrick that we have finally made things right between us. It was never easy without you man, I tell you."
"What are we waiting for? Let's kick our legs, we need to make up for all the days that we missed."
"Shall we?"
"We shall."