CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Geoffrey knew he was wrong for having ended the relationship with Ameena. He thought things through and wanted to get back with Ameena had it not been for the recent incident that made everything sour.
It was a perfect afternoon, cool and calm. Taphen and Derrick made an arrangement to spend some quality time together at perfect greens. Taphen was dressed in a long blue dress without any make up on her face as always. She looked beautiful just like that as usual.
''Been waiting for me?'' Asked Taphen as she emerged from the greens.
''Oops, Taphi!'' responded Derrick.
''What is that?''
''I have been waiting for you for so long?''
''Did I really make you wait that long?''
''Of course, you did and I know why.''
''Why?''
''You girls spend a lot of time on the mirror. You are already beautiful as it is. ''
''You talk too much Derrick,'' said Taphen as she sat down.
After some time of silence, Derrick found his word.
''Taphen.''
''Yes, Derrick.''
''Do you know that everyone adores you?''
''What are you trying to say?''
''I mean to say that even I do.''
''Really! Thank you.''
''Taphen, I do not know how to say this,'' continued Derrick shifting his gaze from the ground directly into Taphen's eyes. Taphen shyly did the opposite.
''Whatever it is Derrick, let it out.''
At this moment, Derrick finally put words together to speak his mind. ''Taphen, I love you. I really do and I would love to date you.'' Taphen was silent.
''You heard me, Taphen.''
''Yes, I did.''
''Then say something.''
''I am sorry Derrick but....''
''But what Taphi?''
''But I can't turn down your proposal.''
''Do you mean to say that we can start the ball rolling?'' asked Derrick happily standing up.
''Of course,'' Taphen concurred also standing up.
''I can't believe this you know,'' sighed Derrick out of relief.
''You better believe it now because you just told me what I wanted to hear.''
''Come Taphen. Give me a hug, I love you.''
''I love you too.''
Back home, Nelia was waiting for Taphen to come back because she wanted to go out somewhere. She was worried about Taphen because her daughter was always at home by 6pm. After waiting for a few minutes longer, she decided to lock the house and put the keys beneath the big rock near the corridor.
As Taphen's mother trundled down the dusty road, she saw Ameena.
''My daughter.''
''Mother,'' Ameena forced a smile not wanting to show any ill feelings. After all, whatever happened concerned only her and Taphen.
'I was expecting you to be with Taphen.''
''Ah...ah...well, yes mother,'' ​Ameena stammered.
''But she isn't with you now. Where is she?''
''Actually, she took the other route. You see, my mother sent me on an errand and emphasized that we take different routes because we would take long as we would be chatting all the way. You know, girls rather women and gossip,'' Ameena lied quickly.
''Oh, I see, am sure I will find Taphen when I get back home.''
''Yes, you will.'' No sooner had Nelia left than Taphen came to the scene. She was with Derrick.
''Ameena, hi,'' Taphen greeted.
''Hi,'' replied Ameena avoiding further conversation.
''Come Derrick, let's hurry. Mom must be waiting for me.''
''And she must be worried,'' added Derrick.
''Indeed. This is 30 minutes past 6pm. I am never this late.''
''Do not worry. Who knows! Maybe she is not home at all.''
''Sounds comforting.''