CHAPTER TWELVE

For the past few days, Taphen seemed quite unchanged as she did her regular chores like usual. She did not want her mother to notice that there was something wrong. Yes, she was deeply hurt but she was a kind of a person who preferred fighting her own battles. The day that Ameena broke up with Geoffrey was the very day that Taphen made a promise to herself that she would not rest until she reunited Geoffrey and Ameena.
''I do not go back on my words. I will not let my personal problems make me break the promise that I made. There is no hope for my relationship with Stephen but I can't let Geoffrey end things with my best friend just like that,'' Taphen said more to herself as she walked down the path that led to Geoffrey's house. Ameena and Taphen had not seen each other since that day at the borehole.
''Geoffrey, look who is here to see you!'' exclaimed Mercy from outside the house.
''Let them in.''
''Come in Taphen,'' Mercy said as she led the way to the living room where they found Geoffrey watching movies on his laptop.
''Oh, Taphen it is you.''
''Yes, Geoffrey.''
''You are welcome.''
''Thank you, how are you?''
''I am alright, how are you?''
''I can't complain.''
''It is quite surprising seeing you here.''
''It really is. Well, I came to discuss something important with you.''
''Mercy, excuse us. Taphen go on please.''
''Ameena told me that you broke up with her.''
''Yes.''
''Why? What did she do?'
''Nothing, I just saw our relationship not working out.''
''That makes no sense to me. Did you do it because you have another girl in mind?''
'Geoffrey hesitated, ''No, no.''
''Why are you stammering? Ameena is a good girl, you will not find any other girl like....''
''Like you Taphen right?'' mouthed Ameena as she abruptly made way into the living room.
''Ameena, you?'' Taphen asked surprisingly.
''Yes me. Are you shocked to see me here? What did you think huh, that I would not find out? Taphen, you of all people, why?''
''Ameena wait. What are you even talking about?'' asked Taphen standing up.
''You are misunderstanding everything Ameena,'' put in Geoffrey.
''Quiet both of you. Geoffrey, you are even siding with her.''
''Yes, because she is telling the truth Ameena.''
Taphen, you cheated on me behind my back. People have warned me about you but I refused to believe any of it until someone compelled me to come here. You two are cheats. And you Taphen, how many guys do you want to have all to yourself? You are disgusting. I am going to inform Stephen about all of this and after listening to what I have to say, he will have totally nothing left for you. Even the little he had for you will be gone.''
''Stop it Ameena, stop,'' Geoffrey interrupted angrily putting a finger across his lips.
''You want me to be quiet. Okay, I am going to tell Stephen right away,'' Ameena yelled.
''There is no need for that, I am already here,'' Stephen said and everyone looked behind in shock.
''Taphen, nothing much to say. You have hurt me deeply. As if that was not enough, you went ahead and cleared the little trust left for you. I am happy I now know the truth and saw it twice with my own two eyes.'' Stephen said with tears in his eyes.
''Whatever you say Stephen, I will not argue. But one thing you should know is that not everything you see is true. Let destiny speak for itself and love prevail because I am certain that the truth will always shine despite it being in the darkest place,'' articulated Taphen and sobbed.
''Liar! Crocodile tears. Stephen, come let us go,'' Ameena yelled dragging Stephen out of the house. Taphen sat down hopelessly.
''I am so sorry Taphen that you had to go through all this. You really should not feel bad about anything because you have not done anything wrong. You were only trying to help a friend.''