CHAPTER THIRTEEN

So many ties had been broken; Geoffrey and Ameena broke up so did Taphen and Stephen. The relationship between Taphen and Ameena ceased to exist. Stephen and Derrick were no more best friends.
Taphen was feeling lonely at home as her mother went to visit a friend and there was no hope for her returning early. Taphen had just finished sweeping the corridor when she heard footsteps behind her. It was Derrick.
''Hi Taphen.''
''Hi Derrick, you are welcome,'' said Taphen offering him a chair.
''I am sorry that I have not been able to see you as of late.''
''It is okay,'' said Taphen with her eyes on the ground.
''You do not seem fine,'' pointed out Derrick. Stephen had already explained everything that happened but Derrick wanted to hear it all from Taphen. There was a moment of silence. At last, Derrick spoke. ''Stephen and I are no longer friends. He told me everything and that you and him were dating. I really was surprised and believe me Taphen, it was not on purpose. Had I known that was the case, I would not have asked you to do that. I have ruined everything and it is all my fault.''
''Shush Derrick. You have not done anything wrong. I messed up everything for myself. After that incident at perfect greens, there was still some hope left. Two days ago, I went to Geoffrey's house.''
''Wait, who is Geoffrey?'' asked Derrick.
''Ameena's boyfriend. Geoffrey broke up with Ameena for no reason. So, I went to see Geoffrey to see if I could reason with him. I mean, I couldn't see them fall apart just like that. But do you know what happened?''
''No.''
''Ameena showed up and accused me of having an affair with Geoffrey. A bit later, Stephen also came. That is how it all ended between Stephen and I. Ameena too lost trust in me.''
''But how could Steph believe just anything?''
''Do you also think that is true?'' Taphen asked, her eyes filled with tears.
''No, no Taphen, not at all. I know you are innocent in all of this. I do believe you Taphen.''
''You are the only person I can count on now other than my mom.''
''When you want a shoulder to lean on, I will always be there. You can count on me. I have to go now.''
''Alright Derrick, hoping to see you soon.''
''Sure. Even tomorrow,'' with that, Derrick rose to go.
As he walked with both his hands held on the back, Derrick kept thinking about Taphen and Stephen. ''Stephen wasn't fair to Taphen. I will go and talk to him,'' thought Derrick. ''But how will I even do that when he Is not on speaking terms with me? For Taphen's sake, I will have to try,'' mumbled Derrick without looking where he was going.
''Watch out, are you blind Derrick! You almost bumped into the tree,'' yelled Stephen.
''Oh my....... Stephen.''
''Enough, excuse me,'' said Stephen walking away.
''No, wait.''
''What?''
''Steph, it is about Taphen.''
''Just stop it. I have had enough of your drama.''
''My guy, you are having a wrong impression about that girl.''
''You know her better. After all, birds of the same feathers flock together.''
''Taphen did nothing wrong to deserve all that.''
''Quiet Derrick, not another word.''
''But Steph....''
''Alright, alright. You win. Taphen is innocent. Now please leave me alone,'' conceded Stephen as he held his palms up in mock surrender. Stephen walked away as quick as he could.
''I really hope you do not regret it man,'' Derrick said in a low voice shaking his head.
''There is no point in talking to him,'' someone said.
''Who are you?'' asked Derrick looking back.
''I am Geoffrey. And you are?''
''Oooh so you are Geoffrey. I am Derrick.''
''Nice meeting you Derrick.''
''Nice meeting you too Geoffrey.''