Chapter 44 - Fifty

NOAH

"Noah... Dad..."

Jordan stands next to my bed and looks towards the bedroom door with a worried face. Gianna is not next to me in bed and my alarm clock says it's 5:52 AM.

"Are you okay?" I ask after clearing my throat.

"Gianna is sick. It sounds really bad."

I hear faint noises coming out of the bathroom and I wonder if she ate anything that fell bad in her stomach. I stumble over a slipper as I make my way there and rub the sleep out my eyes. Gianna sniffles and then I hear heaving sounds.

"That definitely doesn't sound good," I say to Jordan. "Gianna, are you okay? Do you want a glass of water?" I say after knocking softly on the door.

"Yeah," I hear her say from the other side.

Before I can do anything, Jordan sprints to the kitchen and comes back with a glass of water and paper towels. I brace myself for what I'll find and open the door. Gianna sits on the floor next to the toilet and combs her hair back with her fingers.

"Was the food last night too greasy?" I caress her head while she takes a sip of water. 

Gianna shakes her head in negative and then gives me the glass back before throwing up the water she just drank. 

"Flu?" I place my hand on her forehead, but she doesn't seem to have a fever, she's only clammy. "Do you need me to take you to the emergency room?"

Gianna laughs and tries to stand up but her arms shake. "I need help... And toothpaste."

After placing my arms around her, I help her to stand up. Her body feels like soft putty and I don't think she will be able to make it back to the bedroom in her current state. Jordan watches us and the crease on his forehead deepens. I try to smile at him, but I've never seen Gianna like this and I'm as worried as he is.

I hand Gianna her toothbrush with some toothpaste, and she seems to regain some energy as she brushes her teeth. She splashes some cold water on her face and then turns around to face me. 

"I think I'm done for now."

Not trusting that it's over, I grab a wastebasket just in case and escort her to the bedroom.

"Jordan, sweetie, come and sit here," Gianna scoots towards the middle of the bed and pats the area next to her. "Are you joining us?" She asks me as I just stand around with the wastebasket in my hands in case I need to come into action.

After I join them in bed, she holds our hands and smiles.

"In case you are wondering if there's something wrong with me, there isn't. I'm pregnant. I took a test yesterday morning, and I didn't tell anyone because it was a busy day and I'm not over the shock myself."

My body suddenly hurts and I feel cold, then hot. 

"Noah? Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I... We are having a baby?"

"Yeah. It's a lot sooner than we wanted though."

Jordan looks confused and I fear that he's a moment away from a panic attack. 

"I'm okay," he says to me. "Shocked, I guess. I never thought that I could get a sibling at my age," he smiles and it comforts me seeing him act this way.

"And when are you due?" I caress Gianna's cheek and suddenly the idea of becoming a father for the second time overwhelms me with happiness.

"I don't know exactly. I still need to make an appointment to get an official confirmation. Although what just happened there..." she points with her nose towards the bathroom. "Was serious proof. I've been feeling icky in the last weeks, but didn't think much about it until recently."