Chapter 24 - Confessions

SAM

For the past days, I've stayed at the club after the kitchen closes to help with the club management, and of course, I wasn't going to miss our Halloween party last night. Adam was allowed to go home this morning, and I decided to visit him to bring him a good salad after the weeks of bland hospital food. I found him bored and slightly irritated about missing the party. That was until Claire appeared at this door.

"Good morning," Claire said after giving him a light peck on his lips. "Hey Sam, how was it last night?"

"It was busier than the year before, but as fun. We had a drunken guy who started a mosh pit by himself. Erin didn't help the situation since she kept encouraging him to show his best dance moves. He was so wild and bounced against the wall, broke two lamps. Erin didn't find him so amusing anymore," I chuckled, but Adam's worried face stopped me immediately.

"Was he okay? We need to file a report in case we get an insurance claim."

Claire rolled her eyes as she filled his pantry with the groceries she brought.

"No need for that because he didn't have one scratch on him," I say. "Plus, the bar cameras probably recorded it all. What you can bet on is that he will have the hangover from hell today. I only hope that Noah could find the lamp replacements because we have gone through the few spares in the storage."

"Can you do me a favor and not get sick next year?" Claire caressed his cheek and suddenly the earlier kiss registered in my brain. "I would have really liked to see that guy dancing."

"Are you guys dating?"

Claire and Adam exchanged looks and smiled.

"We are not dating because this guy has been hospitalized and taking myself out on a date without him isn't that interesting. We have talked about where we see this going and... It will go places."

"I don't think I get it. Places?"

"Claire and I are certainly interested in each other and when I'm allowed, I will take her out on a proper date."

"Looking forward to it. I brought you enough food for a few days. I'm going to the club and I'll see you tomorrow. Promise me you'll behave and stay home."

"I'll try. No guarantees, though. When Noah and Erin left after they brought me home, the apartment started feeling too small."

Claire lifted a warning eyebrow for him and then left us alone.

"Are you still pissing your pants before every date with Marisol?" Adam smirked.

"What kind of question is that? A big dick one in my opinion."

"Oh, come on, Sam. You know I'm only joking."

"Mocking me for having anxiety isn't a joke. You've known me forever and know how difficult social situations are for me. Do you remember the presentations at school, my final exam at cooking school, even the recent newspaper interview? What's just nerves or excitement for you is draining and debilitating for me."

Adam looks uncomfortable and gazes around the room. "Don't know what's the big deal. You all make fun of me too."

"Have I ever? I think you are mixing me with Noah and Rory. All I ever do is make sure you eat healthy at the club. Do you make fun of me in front of Claire?"

"No, of course not. I was out of line with what I said, it wasn't funny. I'm sorry."

I let out a big breath and tried to steer the conversation.

"Things with Marisol are fine. I was on the border of a panic attack before our first date, but I've been fine around her since then. I may sound crazy, but I know that I will marry her someday. And if anything will make me anxious, it will be asking her father for her hand. Yet, I know that if I get over it, it will be worth it to spend my life with her."