Chapter 9 - Chocolate

NOAH

The busier I am, the less I will have to interact with Erin. Seeing her for a few moments already was painful enough. I don't know how I will survive the rest of the day and especially the band sets tonight. And I know I'm behaving like an idiot, and I should grow a pair and get over it, but I feel so damn rejected. I would give up anything for her, that is how deeply in love I still am. It bothers me enormously that it was so easy for her to tell a stranger about how she doesn't have any feelings for me.

Adam called me last night to tell me about what happened between Imogen and Duncan and I thought he was calling me to talk about Erin. When he didn't mention anything, I felt sort of relieved, because at that moment I wasn't in the mood to discuss my feelings. I just had a quick chat with our band members before they went home again to clarify any questions on what to do if they see Duncan. They have been first hand witnesses of what a jerk he can be here at the club.

"This is for you," Imogen pushes a cup on a saucer on the counter towards me.

"Why?" I ask while staring at the beautiful way she has arranged chocolate shavings and a crescent cookie over a huge dollop of whipped cream.

"You are heartbroken and chocolate is the cure," she gives me her usual warm smile.

"Thanks, Imogen. I appreciate this. I didn't have breakfast and was planning to check if Sam could prepare me something."

I take a place at the bar and scoop a bit of the cream into my mouth. I then take a sip and let the bittersweet drink warm my insides.

"So you already heard what happened?" I ask as I return the cup to the saucer.

"Rory told me this morning. I'm really sorry that she doesn't feel the same way about you. She does love you, Noah. You are as important to Erin as Adam, Rory and Sam are. You are hurting, but she probably got a shock to her system knowing she can't give you what you need. Have a chat with her and try to recover your relationship," Imogen rubs my arm in a comforting way.

"I should have told her long ago that I have feelings for her. Finding out how she feels while she was telling a stranger hit me hard. Me telling her would have probably not made a difference in the outcome anyway, but would have been better than that."

"You are a special guy, Noah. Trust my words, that after living with a dick like Duncan, I'm able to spot the good guys a whole lot better," she laughs a sad laugh. "You will meet your match one day and it will be epic."

"I hope you are right."

The hot chocolate seems to be cheering me up some and I now understand why girls go for it and other sweets when they are upset.

"We get to serve Moonlight tonight!" Rory comes behind the bar with two empty shot glasses and high fives Imogen.

"You had it right. What do you think about the sign?" Imogen pulls a blackboard on the counter and bites her lip in a nervous gesture.

"This is beautiful," I say to her. "Have you ever considered a different career than bartending?"

I'm not sure exactly what is in a Moonlight but the image Imogen has drawn has a simple glass that seems to glow from the moonlit sky. The word Moonlight has been added to the bottom in an elegant handwriting and, of course, the price for the drink is also featured.

"I love drawing but love mixing drinks and seeing people enjoy themselves a lot more," she shrugs.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoy it around here. It wouldn't be the same without you around," Rory places an arm around her and kisses her temple.