Chapter 12 - Sous Chef

SAM

The man in the mirror's reflection looks confident, but it's far from how I feel. My dating history is pathetic and I need to make my best effort to make this date work. Before I leave the bathroom, I pull a rogue curl back and pin it in place.

"How do I look?" I ask Erin and a sigh follows my words.

"Very handsome as always," she smiles as she assesses me. "Love your ponytail."

"Liar. You say I'm handsome because you love me."

"I love all my brothers and they are all handsome," she laughs as she arranges some sticky notes in a notebook. "I'm used to seeing you in uniform at the club, navy blue suits you. You should wear it more often. You do look a bit pale though."

"I think I'm going to throw up," I sit next to her at our dining table and take a few deep breaths.

"You'll be more than fine. I'm sure Marisol will have tons of fun with you. Who knows? Maybe we'll double date one day. Matt will pick me in an hour."

"You have a date? Are you okay with that?" I look for any signs of anxiety in her face. She looks relaxed.

"Matt knows about what happened to me; not in detail. He invited me anyway for a friendly dinner and chat. He knows not to expect too much out of it."

"It makes me so proud that you took this step," I hold her into a hard hug that she returns.

"I can't deny that I panicked slightly when he asked me to have dinner with him. He was so understanding when I told him about my attack and I feel I can trust him to keep his hands to himself. I'll do me good to go out. You should head out too. Don't keep your lady waiting."

If Erin can do it, so can I. I only hope I don't make a fool of myself as I've done previously.

Marisol asked me to meet her in front of the restaurant as it was most convenient for us. I wanted to treat her to something nice and made her some cookies. Bringing chocolates to someone who owns a luxury bonbons store would have been stupid and as I'm allergic for certain flowers, I thought it best to stay away from those.

About two blocks away from the restaurant, I spot a roomy spot to park my car and feel lucky. Halfway to the restaurant, I realize I left the cookies in the car so I walk back to retrieve them and chuckle at my forgetfulness. Marisol waits for me and grins when I approach her.

"I hope I didn't make you wait for too long," I kiss her on the cheek and hand her the box.

"Not at all, I just got here. What's this?" She opens the box I hand her and her delight makes me feel so happy. "Oh, Sam, this looks and smells amazing. Can't wait to try them. Thank you!" She hugs me and I wish she would never stop.

"Alright, let's go inside," I offer her a hand that she accepts and enter the restaurant. "Good evening. I have a reservation under the name of Samuel García," I say as politely as possible to the attendant.

The man looks at me and at Marisol, and don't even bother to check the screen in front of him. "We don't have any reservations under that name."

"Can you look again? I made the call myself. I know I made a reservation."

"Pierre or whatever your name is, stop bullshitting my friend. You know we have a reservation. Take a good look at the screen, pick up some menus and give us your nicest table. You don't want me to call my father who works as an inspector for the health department and have him take a look around your kitchen."

Marisol looks at the man with a menacing face. The attendant's eyes turn into slits as he ponders whether she's telling the truth.

"A small mistake, my apologies. Please follow me."