Chapter 23 - Glass

RORY

After sleeping apart for a long time, Imogen and I decided to share my bed, if only to sleep. We are still trying to figure out where things are heading between us. I don't dare to call her my girlfriend, it doesn't feel right until she ends things properly with Duncan, but my feelings for her are genuine. She has me trapped in bed; her head is close to my chest, her arm over my hip, and one of her legs between mine.

"I need to use the bathroom," I kiss her forehead to wake her up.

Imogen opens her eyes, smiles sleepily at me, then sets me free. Even with the messy hair bun, oversized sleeping t-shirt and without makeup she looks beautiful. When I come out of the bathroom, I find her making herbal tea in the kitchen. Her growing belly is starting to stretch the fabric of her clothes and the idea that she's carrying a little human being inside makes me smile. I walk behind her and place my hands on her belly while kissing her cheek. She squirms and laughs, but the movement rubs me in a way I wasn't expecting. She notices the effect it had on me because it's damn obvious. I'm mortified because until now I have kept my urges in check around her.

"I'm so sorry, Imogen," I place my hands over my crotch.

"Ro... It's natural. You shouldn't feel embarrassed."

"I don't know if it's proper. Okay, we sleep together and make out, but... I don't know if we can... Or you want... We've only been together for a couple of months. You still have no closure on your previous relationship."

Imogen comes closer and cups my face to make me look at her, and my rambling stops.

"I thought you didn't find me attractive because of this," she places her hands over her bump. "I'm putting you in an uncomfortable position, carrying someone else's baby."

"That has never mattered to me. It's your child and only yours. I'm happy that I get to be part of your experience. You are incredibly beautiful and your pregnancy has not made you any less attractive. I'm not sure if having... Dammit, Noah! I don't know if doing stuff is good for the baby."

"I love many things about you and how considerate you are is one of them. The baby will be okay. She's about the size of a lime now and well protected."

I lift her chin to kiss her. I can't imagine the rest of my life without her. I only wish we can continue with our lives without worries. In the meantime, the lusty look she's giving me is driving me nuts so I guide her to the bedroom, our bedroom. Once inside, I gaze around to the mismatched curtains, our tossed sheets, and pillows on the floor.

"Imogen, you deserve more than this."

"What do you mean?" She gives me a hurt look and I know I need to say something fast.

"I want to make love to you for the first time, but not in a messy bedroom the size of a matchbox. You are worth of doing something special for our first time. Like in a beautiful, romantic place, overlooking the sea, and not a concrete wall. I promise it will be worth the wait."

"And to think that I was about to ride you senseless," she laughs.

The twitch in my underwear is painful, so I hurry to the shower and let the cold water numb my wants. I'm probably not doing myself any favors by delaying this, but it has to be perfect for her. We get dressed to go to the club and I'm surprised that we feel quite energetic and refreshed after the night we had yesterday. I didn't want Imogen to work on such a heavy shift during a party, but she didn't want to miss on the fun. Erin, being the most creative among us, picked a fun theme: Zombie High School. Only the staff is allowed to wear costumes since verifying the identifications of people with masks or party makeup becomes a security issue. The clubbers don't mind because they know we will give them the best memories. I found a varsity jacket and an old football helmet at a thrift store and Imogen wore the tackiest prom dress in bubblegum pink tulle with a prom queen sash. The club became a creepy ballroom on prom night, including glow-in-the-dark flower arrangements and festoons.