Chapter 5 - Roommates

RORY

Imogen's face shows many expressions; anger, embarrassment, and so much sadness. I guess I was the last person she expected to see in these almost empty streets.

"Come with me," I say.

The middle of the sidewalk isn't the right place to discuss what's going on with her, so I place my arm around her shoulders and we walk in silence towards my apartment. Imogen shivers and that's when I notice that she's only wearing a light sweater. I take off my jacket and put it around her. She pulls it closer and mumbles thanks.

As soon as I open the door, I invite her inside and turn the heater higher. As I come back with a blanket, I find her still standing close to the door. I'm not sure if she's doing that out of the discomfort this situation brings or because there are stacks of books, empty beer bottles and a pile of dust everywhere.

"I'm sorry the place is a mess, cleaning isn't one of my best skills," I remove some magazines I left on the couch and motion towards it. "Take a seat please."

Imogen does as I say and sits in the corner. I place the blanket over her shoulders since she's still clutching to my jacket. I then rummage through my kitchen drawers until I find what I'm looking for. She stares into space and only reacts when I'm close to her as I inspect her cheek.

"It's nothing," she avoids my gaze but accepts the ice pad I hand her.

"No, it isn't. It was Duncan, right?" I ask and she nods while her tanned cheeks blush deeply. "Where were you going?"

"To a safety shelter. I had just been to the police to press charges for assault and domestic violence and they gave me an address. I'm not going to become a fucking statistic and die at his hands. It's my fault because I let this situation go on for too long. This is the first and only time he will hit me."

I feel her anger in my heart and I share the sentiment. I'm not a violent guy, but this makes me feel so pissed. We have been working so closely for the past two years and I've kept my feelings for her hidden because she was in a relationship. Duncan has never been my favorite person because I dislike cocky people who disguise bullying with mockery. I know he made her feel like crap at times, and it has been me picking up the pieces to make her feel better about herself.

"This isn't your fault and you need to get that out of your head. You always see the best in people and you've given him enough chances to prove he isn't an asshole. And sorry to say, but he's the biggest one out there. What did the police say?"

"There's a warrant for his arrest and they will contact me as soon as they know more so that I can go back to my place."

"Imogen, I know this apartment is a disaster, but I would feel better if you stay here for as long as you need to. I don't want you to rely on someone else when you have us, and I certainly don't want him anywhere near you."

"Thank you, Ro. I'm really tired, so I'll accept your offer just for tonight. Better to stay with a friend than with strangers. And I'm so sorry I bailed on you and Adam today. I was about to leave for the club and we started arguing, and well, you see the result," she motions to her face.

"What could have been so bad that he did this?" I ask and then realize that I still have the tube of arnica cream in my hand. "Here you go. This should help to make that less."

Imogen stares at the grounds and seems to be pondering on whether to tell me the reasons that led to the fight. She lets out a deep breath and looks at me with her sad dark eyes.

"I've been planning to leave him and took some steps to find a place to live then I found I'm pregnant. I didn't know how to bring the topic up because he hates children. Then this afternoon he found some lab forms and a brochure about pregnancy in my purse while looking for money. Asked me what it meant and I told him I'm 14 weeks pregnant. Then he started yelling in my face, saying it can't be his and that I must be sleeping around. Ro, fury blinded me and I slapped him. Not my most gracious moment, but I couldn't stand the assumption that I'm a cheater. Then he punched me. I took my purse, hurried out of the apartment and didn't look back."