Chapter 13 - Imperfect

ERIN

As I enjoy my morning cup of coffee, my brain replays the great night I had last night. Matt came to pick me right on time and honestly, I thought about cancelling. The minutes before, after Sam left, left me in an internal debate on whether I was doing the right thing. I just met Matt, and I didn't even know if the whole thing with his girlfriend was the truth. But the moment I opened the door and saw his kind smile all doubts disappeared. Even more when he handed me a box wrapped in newspaper and looked embarrassed.

"I'm sorry for the less-than-ideal presentation. I didn't have wrapping paper at the studio. Don't even think I have any at my apartment. Luckily I still had tape."

Inside the parcel was a fashion doll that made me laugh immediately. A mini me, in an all-black leather outfit and sporting light purple hair, stared back at me.

"This is amazing! Thanks!" I said while kissing his cheek. "Where did you get this?"

"As I told you at the club, today I shot for a toy catalog. She was part of a set of five. I called the marketing department of the toy chain to ask if I could keep her. It was handy because I pretended that she was you and felt less lonely while working. She isn't great at conversation, though."

"Do you always talk with your merchandise?" I laughed.

"Sometimes," he winked at me. "Are you ready to eat? I only had an instant cup of soup and I'm starving. I think you will like where I'm taking you. Cesar makes huge sandwiches and dinner platters."

"You got my attention at sandwiches. Adam always says that I can eat a rock as long as it is between two pieces of bread." A thought dawned on me at that moment... Adam... "You called my brother for tips, right?"

Caught red-handed he just shoved his hands in his jeans' pockets and grinned. "I want you to enjoy yourself, so I asked for help. I didn't call him, but he was standing at the host booth when I was leaving the club after I had lunch there. I introduced myself and told him I invited you out for a bite. He threatened me with murder if I put my hands on you without your consent and then gave me some ideas."

I pick on how he doesn't call our situation a date. "I wouldn't have expected anything different from my brother."

"I don't think he likes me very much, but I understand him wanting to protect you."

I've heard those words enough. Growing up, whenever a date came to pick me at home, Dad would receive them with his usual kindness while Adam would be shooting daggers from his eyes at them. One of my dates even threw up in the bushes in front of our house. He got a 'talk' from Adam at school and then freaked out when he saw my brother in the living room when he came to pick me. Hopefully he's not scarred for life as the poor thing was only 14 years old back then.

"Don't believe that Adam doesn't like you. After what happened to me, he's been more alert than ever. In fact, I think you scored points by asking him for advice." Matt nodded and his stomach made a growling sound. "Oh shit, you are really hungry and I'm delaying things. Come, bring me to the bread!"

We arrived at a casual restaurant bustling with activity. The place was full of amusing characters and I waved at some of our regular clubbers enjoying a bite. We managed to get an empty table all the way in the back and I enjoyed looking through the food selection on the laminated card.

"Did you clear the air with your friend?" Matt asked looking at me over his menu. "I feel I messed up something on that night."

"Noah went through a small heartbreak and none of it is your fault. We had a talk and we are back to being friends. I'm sure we'll be back to being close friends as we have always been. He's my brother too and I love him very much, but if I haven't developed feelings for him by now, I don't think I'll ever will."