Chapter 35 - Next

RORY

When I walk in the apartment, I find Imogen getting ready to go to the club. She looks more beautiful than ever while she puts on makeup in the living room mirror. The space in front of our bathroom vanity is turning smaller for her with every day that passes.

"How did therapy go?" She asks me through the mirror reflection.

"Slightly better," I smile but she can see through me. 

"But not as fast as you would like it to be."

"I'll be fine."

I kiss her cheek and head to the kitchen to grab something for breakfast before we head to work. Her bump pushes me as she tries to hug me from the back and it makes me smile even when I'm not feeling great. 

"I'm really sorry, Ro."

Imogen was present when the doctor told me that the cut in my right hand damaged a nerve. Making a fist was difficult so I suspected something wasn't quite right. I could barely hold a cup of water at the hospital then. When I went home, I tried to pick up a liquor bottle and couldn't grab it. Since then, I've been going to physical therapy and some stretching exercises at home. With every day that passes it gets better, but I'm not back to my old self.

"There's progress. I was able to pour from a full bottle without trouble. I only can't grab the neck or throw it in the air. My therapist encouraged me to keep trying with the light aluminum ones from when I went to bartending school. That should train my hand to make a fist and regain the strength to flip it."

Imogen watches me with the same guilty expression since I woke up at the hospital. I cup her face and kiss her lips. "Don't look at me like that. It's not your fault I broke my fall with the cabinet." She tries to smile at my lame joke, but fails. "None of what happened is your fault. Duncan should have never set foot in our home. I blame him for being a drunken asshole. My only regret is that I wasn't as good as my dad when I punched him."

Imogen laughs and I'm happy her expression has changed. "Your dad is full of surprises."

"I need to eat something quickly before we head to the club. I need to talk with Erin about a few ideas I have for the New Year's party. I might need to hire an extra bartender to cope with my little hand problem."

"You are still faster than the rest of us."

I still can pour and do things with my left hand, but it doesn't come natural to me. In the past weeks, I've mostly tapped beer and made cocktails that only require stirring. Doing the flairtending show won't be possible anytime soon.

"I wonder if this one in here will follow our steps as a bartender."

"Our..."

"You know I love you and I've grown to love her as if she was mine. I would love it for you both to become my family and have the Sommer last name."

"Ro... Are you... Do you want..."

"I'm asking you to marry me. Nothing would make me happier than marrying you and becoming the father of this little one," I caress her belly and the baby gives me a hard kick.

"I should eat something," Imogen moves away from me and grabs the bowl of cereal I have in my hands.

I serve myself another bowl and give her time to process my words. Lately, I've been thinking about my future, our future, and I only see them in it. I never thought about becoming a father, but now I can't wait for it to happen.

"Did I fuck things up? If you say yes, I promise I'll get you the prettiest engagement ring."

Imogen puts the bowl down and laughs to the point of tears. I feel slightly alarmed at the sudden mood change.