Chapter 21 - Red Blur

ADAM

Breathing feels like torture. I spent the night coughing and I think I bruised something in my chest. My inhaler did a worthless job to open my airways and I kept twisting and turning all night. At least being at the club will distract me and hopefully I'll catch up on my sleep tonight.

Today I should have called a taxi instead of driving. I'm doing it as carefully as possible, but my reaction time is slow and I startle when other cars honk at me. The view of the club's parking lot makes me sigh with relief. I only need a moment to gather my energy to walk to the entrance and open the building. If it gets too bad, I will lay down for a bit on the basement couch and close my eyes. I can always ask Erin, or Noah if he's around, to meet with the new coffee supplier as the new machine is installed at the bar. I don't think I need to see a doctor. I only need to have a good night of sleep.

I hope Erin comes early so that I can show her the idea I have for the new staff uniforms. We haven't updated those since the club started and I think it's time we do it. It will help to professionalize our image further and our employees will appreciate having something new to wear. I also need to send out the complaint letter to the beer distributor. We can't have the situation of a few weeks ago repeat. There's only so much liquor we can keep in storage.

My messenger bag feels heavier than usual and I don't bother slinging it over my arm so I carry it and groan while closing the car. It's horribly cold today, but I feel the sweat spreading in my armpit area. It makes me think that I should add a heating lamp supplier to the things I need to check. We don't want people leaving the queue to enter the club if they are freezing.

As I reach the front door, I look for the keys to open the fence and curse when they fall on the floor. I feel breathless when I bend down to pick them up and my ears ring when I straighten up. I must be developing a flu again. It's my only conclusion after I shiver and fight the dizziness.

Just a minute on one of the lounge couches is all I need. I try to lie down but can't find a comfortable position. It's as if I have a belt around my chest that is getting tighter by the minute.

"Adam? Are you okay?"

I open my eyes to see a red blur very close to my face. Claire...

"I'm... Okay..."

"Let me bring you to the emergency room," she says while placing her hand on my forehead. "Can you stand up?"

"No... I can't leave... Stuff to do... It's hot in here..."

I sit on the couch and close my eyes as the room spins.

"Adam, it's not hot in this place. You are about to pass out at any minute! Let me help you to stand up," Claire moves under my arm to help me stand up and her strength surprises me.

My knees buckle and I fall back on the couch.

"What is going on?" I hear Noah say. "The front door was left wide open."

"I saw him stumbling inside and found him like this. He needs a doctor. Can you help me to bring him to my car?"

"We should call an ambulance! Adam, open your eyes!" Noah slaps my cheek softly.

"The ambulance will take at least ten minutes to arrive to the city center, then it has to make the trip back to the hospital. I know many shortcuts in Greenwood. Plus, one of you needs to stay at the club for the new coffee machine." Claire says and I'm surprised she remembered that.

"Let's not waste any more time. I will call Erin and Rory. They can meet you at the hospital."

I try to protest, but no words come out of me. My feet feel as if they barely touch the ground while they drag me into her car. I'm getting worse as we drive and this doesn't feel like the lung infection I had years ago.