Chapter 15 - Key

NOAH

The weather prediction said it would be cold tonight, but I didn't take it seriously. I regretted not wearing a thicker jacket as I brought bottles to the recycling bin outside. Those minutes felt like forever and my body thanked me when I walked back inside. The recently placed Halloween decorations look great and I'm looking forward to the best party of the year. I still don't know what costume I'll wear, but I'm sure Erin will have more than enough suggestions.

"Ro, can you serve a coffee in a to-go cup to bring to Wilson? It's really cold out there," I say as I still rub my arms to help the heat spread.

"Sure. I'll box some treats for him too. He's crazy about cookies." Rory starts the machine and fills a small cardboard box with cookies and pub mix.

I'm glad that I ordered the drink ready to go as I walk through the maze of people on my way to the entrance. Wilson is our head bouncer and he's tough as hell, but on a night like this, a warm drink is appreciated.

"Here you go, Wilson," I hand him the cup and the box.

"Bless you, man! I'm glad Adam installed the heaters, but when the wind blows, I feel it in my bones. Cookies! Rory knows that's my weakness."

I help to control the identifications of the people doing the line to enter the club while he enjoys his coffee.

"Hey bro, can you cover for me for a few minutes? I need to use the restroom."

"Sure. Take your time. Warm up in there."

A couple of people leave the club and I let inside the last people in line. With the doors closed, it is quite peaceful out here and I close my eyes to enjoy the serenity.

"Please... Hide me."

The shaky voice startles me. A kid in his teens shakes all over and looks fearfully towards the beginning of the street. He wears a long sleeve t-shirt, sweatpants and only socks on his feet in this terrible weather.

"Oh God, I think that's him. Please... Please I'm begging you. I need a place to hide or he will kill me."

His desperate crying, as I see the lights of a car shine around the corner, makes me act. I point at the dark space between the podium and the club doors. He squats in the tight space and the violent way his body shakes worries me. I keep my composure as I turn to face the street and keep an eye on the car coming in this direction. The expensive white SUV drives slowly. Not the usual speed of the traffic in this area. A man looks towards both directions and seems to search for something. I can't make his facial features in detail, but I do notice he has a beard. I write down the license plate as fast as I can and hope I don't make a mistake. The moment it takes a turn down the street, I turn around to check on the kid who hugs his knees and cleans his tears roughly.

"The car is gone; you can calm down. Is the person following you a man with a beard driving a white SUV?" I ask in a soft voice in order not to scare him. He nods. "I wrote the license plate in case we need it. Stand up, let's get you to a warm place," I help him to his feet at the moment that Wilson returns. "Wilson, a suspicious man in a white SUV is chasing this boy. If he comes around asking if we have seen anyone, please say no."

"You got it. Should I call the police?"

"No, thanks. I'll handle it further inside."

Escorting the boy towards our rest area in a full club makes it easier. Rory is busy serving many people at the same time and doesn't notice us as we walk past him. Sam and his team have gone home already so it is only the two of us. In the bright lights, I see that he looks a lot like I did when I was his age, with the same hair and eye colors. He's so thin, but doesn't look unkempt. A large bruise has formed close to his mouth and his lip is split. Whatever happened to him was recent.