Chapter 29 - Pink

RORY

Having my parents around has been great, but being able to share with them what's going on in my life has been amazing. Of course, they came to check on Adam, but we all need them. Spending time with them once per year is never enough. 

I moved permanently to Greenwood when Adam and Erin were traveling back and forth to college from Lonstino. I did call my parents occasionally to let everyone know I was still alive, but I was discovering myself at that time and needed to be on my own. Now, I've calmed down, even before Imogen came to live with me. No more party nights and waking up on the couch or bed of a stranger. I keep my parents a phone call away to help me with life's difficult decisions. A few days after Imogen moved in, I called Mom and had a long conversation with her about the situation and my feelings. As always, she listened and encouraged me to be a good friend and provide all the support necessary. I only never imagined that being a good friend would turn on being a sort of boyfriend.

Yesterday, Imogen asked me to accompany her to an ultrasound. I didn't know what to expect since I've not been at her previous appointments. Her doctor welcomed us and invited us to a dark examination room where Imogen got instructed to lie on a bed. I had to assist her as her belly is growing and she can't even see her feet anymore. The doctor explained that the purpose was to check that the baby had developed correctly by this stage.

"Would you like to know the sex of the baby?" She asked.

Even though I love that baby with all my heart because it's Imogen's, I didn't feel like I have a right to make any decisions. We have talked on occasion about how practical it would be to know to pick a theme for the nursery, but it was Imogen's choice.

"Yes, we want to know," Imogen caressed my cheek and I felt honored for being included.

The doctor moved the wand over Imogen's belly and explained to us what she was seeing.  It was like looking at a scrambled transmission on a TV, but she seemed to see enough details to let us know everything was in order. I was fascinated when she pointed at an area with her pen and I could distinguish tiny hands.

"And you guys are expecting... Don't move baby. I want a nice shot for Mommy and Daddy."

Imogen grinned at the assumption and I had to bite my lip to avoid shedding a few tears. Our relationship isn't defined and here I am pretending to be something that I actually desire.

"You are having a girl. No doubt there."

Imogen wiggled as she celebrated the news and beautiful images of a pink room swirled in my head. I can't wait to start preparing a room fit for a tiny lady. The first thing I did when the appointment was over was call my parents to share the good news. Their reaction was what I expected, the one of grandparents to be.

The celebration continued when they came to visit the club last night. They were here when we opened, but it wasn't as full and vibrant as nowadays. Matt and Erin's engagement was the second best news of the night and we celebrated as a family in a place that means so much to all of us. The cherry on the top of the happiness sundae was Erin and Noah performing a new original song they've been working at that had all clubbers dancing and singing along. When midnight approached, I invited Mom to be one of my special ladies during the flairtending show. She's never seen me in real action, only a few tricks I've shown her when we visit them. She got so into it that she downed her tequila shot in one go. I looked at Dad, who grimaced, because Mom can barely tolerate a beer before becoming tipsy, and then tries to make out with him, no matter where they are. 

I wish Adam was as open as us with his personal news. While doing the end of the evening cleaning, he told me that Claire has been staying some nights at his place to keep an eye on him. His pleasant mood tells me that they've been doing more than that. I asked him if she's his girlfriend and he shook his head, saying it's too early for that. It made me put things in perspective. I've known Imogen for two years, she definitely doesn't want anything to do with Duncan and we sleep in the same bed. She's my girlfriend and I should start referring to her as such.