Chapter 2 - Purple

NOAH

Even before I can see her, I know Erin Sommer has arrived at the club. Her laughter reaches my ears and also the cute way she greets the people she knows. Whenever she enters a room, she fills it with her presence. People adore her because she's kind, caring and true to herself. The guys joke about my 'groupies', but the rest of the people in the club come to see Erin perform. The crowd parts as she walks in, the sign of a true rock star, and she stops along the way to kiss and hug people, wave at others.

"I know you are desperately in love with Erin, but I'm going to need those beers," Rory says next to me.

"Sorry," that's all I manage to say before handing him the glasses. Rory has always had a special sense when it comes to how people feel and me staring at Erin just proves him right.

"Will you ever tell her?"

"I don't think so. We have known each other forever and if we were meant to be more than friends it would have happened by now."

"I think you should get over with it and tell her. The worst that can happen is that she says she is not interested. Then at least you know and can move on instead of looking at her like a hopeful dog."

"That is easy for you to say 'cause you are her brother."

"I say this because I've seen you suffering in silence for long enough. My fear is that she will end up with a dick, like the last one she dated, who doesn't value her. She deserves a good guy and it could be you if you open your mouth instead of only staring at her."

Rory goes back to taking drink orders and I sigh. I have loved Erin since we were kids, but never dared to tell her. We share the same interests and it's why we started the band after finishing high school. Every minute we spend rehearsing or picking up the songs for our sets feels like heaven to me. We see each other five days a week, but every time I see her is like the first time. I'm so deep in this shit.

"And I'm here. Where's Imogen?" Erin asks while placing her purse behind the bar.

"Adam says she has a stomach bug. Hopefully she'll be okay soon. The place is packed tonight, so be ready to rock the crowd."

"I am ready."

Erin takes off her bandana and we hear a loud gasp behind us.

"What the hell did you do to your hair?" Adam asks wide-eyed.

"I had it dyed," she shrugs.

"It's... It's... Purple!" He looks so shocked it's hilarious.

"You are such a damn caveman! Me Adam, me no dye hair, me no pluck eyebrows, me no shave legs."

Sam, Rory and I can't stop laughing at Erin's gestures.

"But your hair is blonde, like mine and now it's... Purple..."

"Are you afraid we won't match anymore? Is that it? The last time I checked we are both 30 years old and we told Mom to stop matching our clothes when we were six."

Adam is speechless and Rory clutches his chest while laughing.

"I think it looks cool," Sam says with a happy smile.

"Thanks, babe. Going home? You look tired, poor you."

"Yeah, I'm really ready to go to bed. I'll see you later. Have a good show," he says and lets out a yawn.

I would feel jealous if it wasn't for the fact that Sam and Erin are best friends and roommates. She used to live with Adam until the day when she brought a date around and he got all grumpy and moody, kind of embarrassed her. At that time, Sam was looking for another place to live and suggested to Erin to live together, then the peace returned.