Chapter 4 - Flairtending

RORY

Noah comes out of the kitchen and looks pissed. He taps a beer for himself and downs it without stopping to breathe.

"Woah, hold on! What's going on? That's rage drinking."

"Nothing," he wipes his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Your nothings are always somethings. What just happened in there?" I motion with my head towards the kitchen.

Noah frowns and gazes around without answering me. When Adam is in a bad mood, he won't stop ranting. Noah keeps it to himself and I honestly don't know what I rather choose. After a few minutes, the door to the kitchen opens and Erin comes out with the Matt guy. She hugs him in her usual friendly way and waves him goodbye. Noah watches them with a mix of hatred and hurt, definitely signs of jealousy.

Erin then looks at Noah and walks towards the bar. Soon it will be time for the last set of the band and if no words are exchanged by then I'm afraid it will become an awkward one.

"Noah..." She says. I pretend I'm busy clearing up the glass washer.

"Erin, I get it. I'm only a friend. Took me 25 years to understand that nothing will ever happen between us. I'm an idiot. A hopelessly in love idiot."

"Noah, what are you talking about? Are things really going to be like this between us?"

"I thought the way I feel was obvious for you, but it's not. We have a show to put on," he says and walks towards the stage.

Erin follows Noah with her gaze, and I feel slightly guilty. I really thought he had a chance with her and didn't think it would go this way.

"What have I done, Rory?" She rubs her face in frustration.

"Have you ever felt..." I place my arm around her shoulders. "You know, romantic feelings for him?" She shakes her head. "I know you care a lot about him. Was there ever something more?"

"You remember when we were teens and he would come to our house to learn how to play the guitar with Papa? I had a little crush on him. We were all growing up and getting past the awkward phases. And suddenly I realized that Noah was a good-looking guy with a guitar," she smiles a sad smile. "But to me he's like Sam, brother-friends."

"You guys should talk. Now, go on that stage and do what makes you happy. I need to warm up a bit," I kiss her cheek and go back to arranging the materials for my performance.

Erin walks towards the stage and suddenly I remember which song comes up next. I expected the set to become awkward, but this seals the deal. Noah begins to sing 'What I Like About You' from The Romantics and it's completely different than how it usually goes. Erin glances at him from time to time while he sings to the crowd and doesn't interact with her. Their voices are flawless, but unless you are completely drunk, which most people around here are, you can see something isn't quite right.

"What's going on?" Adam comes behind the bar to bring a tray of dirty glasses.

"Noah just found out that Erin has no feelings for him," I give him the short version. "He's pissed. She's shocked."

"Shit, I knew this would happen one day. Where is the Matt guy? I'm not sure I liked that Erin spent time with him," he scans the crowd.

"He left already, but I don't think he's involved in this."

The music continues and most people don't even notice the passive-aggressive friction between Noah and Erin. Midnight approaches soon and it's almost time for my own show.

"Please, tell me you picked a cheap liquor today. Every time you give away those shots for free, my heart breaks," Adam says.

"Cheap bastard," I laugh. "You should let me juggle that nice bottle of aged whiskey you have in your apartment."