Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker

ERIN

The alarm goes off and I turn it off while my eyes are still closed to enjoy my bed for a few minutes longer. Last night was eventful, but certainly fun. I was really nervous when I announced our new song to the crowd. We took a risk by changing the party rock mood with something mellow. When I started singing, I didn't dare to look at the public and stared at the distance. I wasn't ready for rejection on what's a piece of my soul. Then I looked at Noah and saw him smiling. I followed his gaze to find people with their drink glasses raised and others in half hugs singing with us. Matthew watched me from the bar and I couldn't see his face properly but somehow, I felt his positive energy. He convinced me to do it after all and seeing the reaction of our younger clubbers I finally felt free.

I could have lived without the encounter with Wendy, but I had no control over that. I don't think I've seen her before at Moonlight House and there was no way either Matt or I would have known she'd be there. He felt so embarrassed, but we reassured him that we've experienced wilder things at the club and he shouldn't feel responsible about what happened with Wendy. He eventually relaxed and seemed to enjoy the rest of the evening. What I find unbelievable about the situation with Wendy is that she cheated on Matt, yet she behaves as if it was the opposite.

Adam took me aside before the club closed and scolded me for not taking her attack seriously. I don't understand why he got so upset about it. I didn't provoke it and we were surrounded by our security guys. In any case, it was as absurd as other situations we have experienced. My only conclusion is that Adam is still on alert because we still don't know Duncan's whereabouts. It was me this time with a jealous bitch, next time it could be someone trying to do harm to Imogen.

I feel Matt's warmth next to me and open my eyes to watch him sleep. In the morning light, I realize that he has little freckles on his nose and looks like an adventurer with his beard stubble and shaggy hair. I like him... A lot. More than I let show. It fascinates me how he views the world and finds beauty even in the smallest details. It charms me that he doesn't make a move unless I let him know that it's okay. After the club closed, we took a taxi home as he had some drinks. It worried me slightly because I had never seen him tipsy and didn't know if he could keep his good behavior once we were alone.

I left him in my room while I went to shower. On my way to the bathroom, I saw a purse on the coffee table which obviously belonged to Marisol. The idea that Sam was sharing his bed with her made me smile. My interactions with Marisol have been brief, but I find her perfect for him. She's genuine, has a good sense of humor and when she comes to the club for lunch she stares at Sam in the loveliest of ways. When I returned to my bedroom, I found Matt sitting on my bed.

"Sweetheart, I thought you would be in bed by the time I came back. You must be exhausted after the long day."

"It's okay. I didn't feel it was right to do it without you."

Matt took off his jeans, socks and shoes, and kept his t-shirt and boxers on. I tried not to stare too long at his nice body and hot legs. I opened the bed covers and patted the space next to me. He got under the thick blanket and looked lost on what to do next.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I said while turning on my side to look at him.

"After what happened tonight, I thought you might have changed your mind."

"Wendy or anyone like her will never ruin my evening," I laughed. "Especially not after performing our song and seeing how people reacted to it. Thank you for giving me the push I needed."

"It was a special moment and I'm glad I was there to witness it. Erin, I have to be honest. This whole thing about you being cool about my career and accepting me with all my flaws is kind of new. I hope you don't get bored eventually."