Chapter 27 - Grounded

NOAH

No words can do justice to describe the beauty and great personality of the woman in front of me. Gianna is possibly the sweetest and most feminine lady I've ever been on a date with. She laughs heartily but isn't frivolous, and her sense of humor is fantastic. I also don't doubt that under the soft exterior there is a fiery character when necessary.

I asked her out on a date on the night she visited Moonlight House. She hesitated initially due to the role she plays in Jordan's life, but called me the next day saying she accepted. Normally, I don't give much importance to the logistics of a date, but after having trouble finding a moment that worked for us both, I started feeling impatient. When we finally set on a date, I even went through the trouble of buying something new to wear.

When Jordan came home from school today, I was getting a piece of lasagna from the freezer for him to heat for dinner. I told him I was going on a date, but didn't say with whom and he didn't ask either. When he saw me coming out of my bedroom, he laughed and asked me why I was dressed like an old man. He's used to seeing me in the black clothes and leather jacket I wear at the club, but since Gianna suggested to go to a casual Japanese restaurant, I picked dark wash jeans and a navy shirt. 

I felt lost when I got at the restaurant because it looked fancier than I expected. My understanding of the word casual probably had a different interpretation for Gianna. All of the cherry wood tables seemed occupied by elegant people, and a big cherry blossom tree served as the middle centerpiece. I was starting to figure how a tree could grow inside a dark restaurant when I felt a hand on my arm.

"Hello, Noah."

Gianna stood behind me, wearing exactly the same outfit as me but with the addition of a pink scarf.

"Our clothes match," she grinned.

"You look beautiful," I said and her grin turned into a shy smile. "Do you come here often?"

"My colleagues are fond of this place and so am I. Have you ever had Japanese food?"

"No, so please forgive me if I don't like it."

"No worries at all. They have grilled food as well and I'm very partial to their rice."

After checking their menu, I went with the safest route and ordered chicken skewers while Gianna ordered sushi. We got to know each other while waiting for our food.

"Did you always want to be a school counselor?"

"My initial plan was to become a psychologist, but after doing a short internship at a private school I realized that I wanted to be a counselor for the rest of my life. I experienced how much help children need in different aspects and I wanted to make an impact. What about you?"

"I couldn't have gotten into college, even if I wanted to. My grades weren't good enough and trade school was my only choice. I started learning plumbing and found that I liked it. When I finished, I continued learning electric repairs and any other course that had to do with fixing and maintaining things. I got some money after my father died that I saved, and used it to open a business when I turned 22. It was scary and people were certainly doubtful of hiring me because I was so young. A few dared to give me a chance and word about my work spread out. Nowadays, I spend my time supervising my three contractors and booking jobs for them. The real repair and maintenance work I do at the club."

"You must feel so proud of your success. And then you also sing and play."

"When we were in school, I liked to sing in plays or choirs. Then one day I saw Erin's dad play the guitar. He taught me a couple of chords and signed me up for lessons. Her parents are amazing people and supported me in any way they could. Since Erin liked to sing too, we started a little band in high school and got some gigs booked for the weekends when she was in college. Moon Rocks is the result of all those experiments. I love performing and it's always a different experience every night. You never know how the crowd will react."