Chapter 22 - Birthday

NOAH

None of us expected that Adam would stay this long in the hospital. I'm hoping he can go home tomorrow if he doesn't have a new setback. After surgery, he had his ups and downs, but he seemed to be on the mend until he developed a fever. Young men are not usually survivors of heart attacks, so the state of his health kept us anxious. I've been trying my best to split my time between the club, my business and Jordan. We all have pitched in to keep the business running and to promote tonight's Halloween party, who also happens to be on Jordan's birthday.

The past month and a half have been an educational experience on parenting. He's a good kid in general, but having a father figure who enforces rules and boundaries isn't something he's used to. Most of the time he respects them, but I can see he struggles. From the little he talks about his father, it seems that Jordan grew up pretty much on his own, and the memorable interactions with Nolan were filled with violence. I'm trying to show him that structure is good for him and that I'm always open for communication.

Last Monday, he brought two boys and a girl to the house after school. It surprised me because I wasn't sure he even had friends. He froze by the door when he saw me sitting in the living room playing my guitar as I normally head out to get groceries around that time.

"Can I talk to you for a minute alone?" He asked.

We walked into the kitchen and out of the corner of my eye I could see the kids standing awkwardly by the door.

"Do I have to ask you for permission to bring friends over?" He asked while avoiding my stare.

"Your friends are more than welcome here. A heads-up would have been appreciated in case I was in my underwear," I said and he smiled. "Can you introduce me to them?"

Jordan motioned to his friends to come in. "This is my foster dad, Noah. These are John, Mark, and Chloe. We go to school together."

"Pleasure to meet you all. Jordan, I've filled the drinks in the fridge and the snacks under the sink. Please, enjoy yourselves," I said while gathering my things to sit on the back porch.

I looked back as the kids headed to the kitchen and felt I'm doing things right. He feels comfortable and at home here. The first time he called me his foster dad I didn't know how to feel about it. I certainly care about him, but I don't know how long he will live with me. I'm afraid to fall in love with the idea of having a son, only for him to move with another family. Yet, the idea of him moving away breaks my heart.

At a certain moment, I needed a piece of paper to take some notes and saw Chloe coming out of the bathroom. An idea popped in my head and I called her aside to share with her my plans for Jordan's birthday party. She gave me some tips and promised to tell the guys. I handed her my business card and told her to call me if they were coming to add them to the guest list.

Yesterday morning, I finally had a meeting with his school counselor, which I wanted to schedule the moment he came to live with me, but time didn't allow it. Jordan doesn't know about this because I don't want him to feel as if I'm spying on him. I just wanted to know how to help him. His education has been neglected for far too long and a smart guy like him needs support to reach his full potential.

"Good morning, Mr. Tanner. I'm Gianna Trevino. Pleasure to meet you," said the beautiful woman with caramel brown hair and dark green eyes, welcoming me into her office.

"Likewise."

"As you requested, I spoke with his teachers and we are all glad you have taken an interest in his education. Jordan has passed each grade with the academic minimum. Since you took him in, his grades have improved significantly and he even got a perfect score in his last Math exam. A common positive remark among his teachers is that he looks well taken care of and he's gaining weight."